[Counselors] PSAT Responses #2

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon Sep 18 16:27:57 CDT 2023

Hello, all. Those that give the PSAT, can you tell me why/what are some benefits? We have been giving it to top 5 juniors for several years as a National Merit Scholarship qualifier but haven't had one qualify in a very long time. The last 2 years we have not got any results back from them; I have called, left messages, emailed, but no response. Just
wondering if anyone else has a similar experience...?

  *   For high achiever students that would use it, the access they get to the Collegeboard BigFuture website is impressive.  It has a lot of resources especially if students are considering looking out of state.

  *   We test all sophomores and that gives us a base score to help predict who should likely take it again as a junior.  But now we give it to all juniors anyway (we test all 10th and 11th).  By having a 10th grade score, we can get a rough idea of who might have a shot at National Merit junior year.
For juniors, I'd recommend opening it up to let any interested junior take it instead of limiting it to only your "top 5 juniors."  How are you determining that?  By top 5 in the class?  Or are they taking the PSAT in 10th grade and you're looking at those scores?  National Merit semifinalist is determined by the top 1% PSAT test scores in the state.  So depending on how other students in the state test, the cutoff score (selection index) varies year to year.