[Counselors] PSAT Responses

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Sep 15 13:59:36 CDT 2023

Hello, all. Those that give the PSAT, can you tell me why/what are some benefits? We have been giving it to top 5 juniors for several years as a National Merit Scholarship qualifier but haven't had one qualify in a very long time. The last 2 years we have not got any results back from them; I have called, left messages, emailed, but no response. Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience...?

  *   I like to give it because it's a mini-version of the SAT. For some students, the SAT is a better test for them than the ACT. If they are strong in math, it's a good test for them. There is not a science section on it, so if they struggle with science on the ACT that's a good way to solve that issue. So, it's a cheap way to try the SAT.
I think in the last few years, they quit mailing results. Results should be in your College Board account. While the National Merit Scholarship qualifier is a long shot, I've had a few over the years. I've also had some who were recognized by College Board for scoring high in certain categories, such as a rural school or a minority group.

  *   You can get the results from the College Board Website.   They don't mail them out.   We do SAT for state testing so we do PSAT with all of our Juniors.  For us it is useful because it gives us a score and lets the students know what areas they need to work on for the SAT test when they take it.

  *   We had a student get in the running and was honorable mention.  I believe, if they are close to being a National Merit qualifier, you hear from them.  JSB :)

  *   You have to log in to PSAT and print your own results now...they no longer send them in the mail.
I test the top 20 juniors and have had 1 qualify in the last 5 years

  *   This is pretty straight forward, but I offer it to 10th and 11th grade, this year I have 14 who signed up. They parents do pay for this test. The thing is, they can't ever come back and say that I didn't give their child the opportunity.....that's why I will always offer this test. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Sabrina Wood
Coordinator of Student Preparation for College Readiness
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
swood at osrhe.edu<mailto:swood at osrhe.edu>
https://www.okhighered.org/student-prep/