[Oasfaa] Undocumented Immigrant Bill Killed

Fair, Bryce bryce at osrhe.edu
Tue Mar 28 08:28:27 CST 2006

FYI - Yesterday the Senate author of HB 3119 (text: http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/2005-06hb/hb3119_engr.rtf ) announced that he would not seek a committee hearing on the bill in the Senate, effectively killing this particular bill for the 2006 session.  However, as Rep. Terrill is quoted in one of the articles below, some of the issues from this bill may well be discussed/included in other legislation that is still alive.  Below is a press release from Sen. Jeff Rabon about his action.  Also attached below are three related articles from the Daily Oklahoman, Tulsa World, and Journal Record.

====================================

Oklahoma State Senate
Senator Jeff Rabon
Senate District 5
Assistant Majority Leader
Choctaw, McCurtain, Atoka and Pushmataha Counties

For Immediate Release: March 27, 2006

Rabon Says He Won't Seek Committee Hearing on 'Harsh' Immigration Bill

Calling the measure "exceedingly harsh" and saying it goes "way too far," the Senate author of a bill that criminalizes offering humanitarian assistance to undocumented immigrants said Monday that he will not seek a hearing on the measure in committee.

Senator Jeff Rabon, D-Hugo, sent a letter Monday afternoon to Senate Health and Human Resources Committee Chairman Bernest Cain, explaining that he would not be requesting a hearing for House Bill 3119.

"While I understand that illegal immigration is indeed an issue in Oklahoma and there may be things we can address on the state level, House Bill 3119 goes way too far," Rabon said in the letter. "This measure is exceedingly harsh and its broad scope provides for punishment for the wrong people."

Rabon said the measure attempts to turn state employees into border patrol agents and provides for punishment for state workers who provide compassionate aid to some of the most vulnerable people in Oklahoma. Republican Randy Terrill of Moore is the principal author of the measure in the House.

Rabon expressed deep concerns that taxpayers are "picking up the tab" for services for those who choose not to obey the law.

"But it's time to slow this train down. Our agencies, schools and medical institutions are not prepared to start this program. I'd like to see how this would be practically applied." Rabon said.

Rabon said nationally the discussion of immigration issues is becoming more and more divisive.

"I think it would be counter-productive to embroil Oklahoma in a highly-charged emotional debate especially about an issue that is decidedly federal in nature," Rabon wrote.

For more information contact:
Senator Rabon's Office - (405) 521-5614

====================================

Senator withdraws state immigration bill

March 28, 2006
By John Greiner
The Oklahoman

The Senate author of a state House immigration bill that sparked a firestorm of protest killed it Monday, saying it's "exceedingly harsh."
"While I understand that illegal immigration is indeed an issue in Oklahoma and there may be things we can address on the state level, House Bill 3119 goes way too far," said Sen. Jeff Rabon, D-Hugo, the Senate author. "This measure is exceedingly harsh, and its broad scope provides for punishment for the wrong people."

"I'm disappointed, but not surprised," said the House author, Rep. Randy Terrill, R-Moore.

He said he also was perplexed because he met with Rabon on Thursday, and Rabon didn't express any concern about the bill.

Called the Oklahoma Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act, the measure would have required proof of citizenship when gaining identification cards at school, registering to vote or seeking public assistance. Anyone who couldn't do this would be turned over to federal immigration authorities.

House Bill 3119 also would have repealed a 2003 state law to allow illegal immigrants who grow up in Oklahoma to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and universities.

The measure passed the House, 63-24, earlier this month, but it later drew criticism from some clerics and members of the Hispanic community.

A rally against the bill is planned for noon Saturday at the state Capitol, and plans are to go forward with the rally despite Monday's action, said Juanita Vasquez-Sykes, president of the Oklahoma City chapter of the League of United Latin American Citizens.

No hearing planned
In a letter to Sen. Bernest Cain, chairman of the Senate Health and Human Resources Committee, Rabon said he will not ask for a hearing on the bill before the committee.

Rabon said the measure attempts to turn state employees into border patrol agents and provides for punishment for state workers who provide compassionate aid to some of the "most vulnerable" people in the state.

Terrill also blamed Cain, D-Oklahoma City, for the death of this bill, saying Cain indicated to some people he wouldn't hear it.

Cain denied that, saying he never talked to Rabon about the measure.

Terrill said if this bill had passed the Senate, it would have gone to a House-Senate conference committee for more work.

Although Rabon is killing the bill, he said he had deep concerns that taxpayers are picking up the tab for services for those who are not obeying the law.

Terrill said Rabon's concerns "ring hollow."

Vasquez-Sykes said the language of Terrill's bill still could be inserted in another bill, so she will not quit fighting it.

"I wouldn't let up on that bill if Randy Terrill himself would tell me he's going to pull it," Vasquez-Sykes said.

======================================

Immigration legislation halted
By BARBARA HOBEROCK AND ANGEL RIGGS
Tulsa World Capitol Bureau
3/28/2006

A co-author of the measure says he won't push for a committee hearing on it because it is too restrictive.
OKLAHOMA CITY -- A controversial immigration bill appears to be dead, for now.

Sen. Jeff Rabon, D-Hugo, declared on Monday to the chairman of the Senate panel where the measure had been assigned that he was not seeking a hearing on House Bill 3119, which he co-wrote with Rep. Randy Terrill, R-Moore.

HB 3119 would curb illegal immigrants' access to public assistance, driver's licenses and in-state tuition, and allow misdemeanor charges against state employees who fail to report undocumented workers.

It drew sharp criticism from sectors of the faith community and immigration advocates.

Rabon called the measure "exceedingly harsh" and added that it went "way too far."

Carol Helm, the director of Immigration Reform for Oklahoma Now, which supported the bill, asked, "How in the world, when you curb voter fraud, welfare fraud and identity theft, could you say that it goes too far?"

Rabon said the measure was attempting to turn state employees into Border Patrol agents and provide punishment for state workers who provide compassionate aid to some of the most vulnerable people in Oklahoma.

But he added that he was concerned that taxpayers are "picking up the tab" for services for those who choose not to obey the law.

State agencies and others are not prepared to carry out the bill's measures, Rabon said, adding that he wanted to see how it would be applied practically.

"I think it would be counter-productive to embroil Oklahoma in a highly charged emotional debate especially about an issue that is decidedly federal in nature," Rabon said.

Terrill said Rabon's comments rang hollow.

He said he might try to include portions of the proposal in Senate Bill 1769, which he co-wrote with Sen. Kenneth Corn, D-Poteau. SB 1769, which would establish an immigration division within the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, is in the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee.

Shirley Cox, the director of social action at Catholic Charities in Oklahoma City, called the bill's demise good news.

"I'm just concerned that there won't be some political maneuverings to attach the bill and get it passed without committee consideration," she said.

Catholic Charities and other organizations, including the League of United Latin American Citizens, the Latino Community Development Agency and the Oklahoma Conference of Churches, began putting together a plan to stop the state legislation when the session opened with four House bills on immigration.

Helm said voters should evaluate whom they send to Oklahoma City. "They need to ask themselves, 'Are those senators representing me?' " she said.

Barbara Hoberock (405) 528-2465
barbara.hoberock at tulsaworld.com

Angel Riggs (405) 528-2465
angel.riggs at tulsaworld.com

======================================

Senate author to not seek committee vote on bill
By Jeff Packham

The Journal Record

OKLAHOMA CITY - A bill requiring state agencies to report illegal immigrants will not receive a committee hearing in the Senate after the Senate author announced he would not be requesting a hearing for the proposal.

State Sen. Jeff Rabon, D-Hugo, sent a letter Monday to Senate Health and Human Services Committee chairman Bernest Cain, D-Oklahoma City, informing him of his intent to not seek action on a House bill he was sponsoring in the Senate.

Rabon stated in the letter that while he perceived illegal immigration as a real problem in Oklahoma, "there may be things we can address on the state level" and that "House Bill 3119 goes way too far." Rabon pointed to the measure as attempting to turn state employees into border patrol agents and punishing state workers who assist some of the state's most vulnerable people.

State House author Randy Terrill, R-Moore, said he was disappointed with the decision by Rabon, who Terrill said had requested to be the Senate sponsor of the legislation. Terrill said Cain had been unresponsive to phone calls and was the person he believed to be most responsible for the bill not moving forward.

"I wish I could tell you I was surprised," Terrill said, noting that he had some concerns when he found out the bill was being sent to Cain's committee. "I had heard he was not planning to hear the bill."

Cain, however, responded that he was still trying to decide what to do with the measure when he received a call from Rabon informing him that he would not be seeking a vote on the proposal. Cain said that was the first conversation he had with Rabon on that specific bill.

"I never spoke with (Senator) Rabon one time about hearing the bill," Cain said.

Terrill said he had spoken with Rabon last week about the bill and explained to him what was contained in the measure. He said any turnabout on the language must have taken place after that meeting on Thursday.

"I believe it was largely a face-saving measure," Terrill said, adding that his view of the bill did not match up with the language in the measure. "I'm disappointed with those statements that he would make. It is clear to me that he doesn't fully understand the details of House Bill 3119."

Rabon could not be reached to explain the decision to not move forward with the bill, but Cain pointed out that several religious groups had come out strongly in opposition to the proposal, including the Catholic Church. Cain said he had even heard there may be an interim study or task force review on the need for the bill instead of passing the legislation.

Terrill said another bill - Senate Bill 1769 - was available to work on this very issue and was expected to have a hearing in the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee in the next couple of weeks. The bill provides procedures for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol to detain illegal immigrants.

"You can rest assured there will be some changes that will be made," Terrill said of the bill for which he is the House sponsor.

======================================

Bryce Fair
Assoc. Vice Chancellor for Scholarships & Grants
Phone:  (405) 225-9162
Fax:  (405) 225-9230
E-mail:  bfair at osrhe.edu

Mailing Address: