[Oasfaa] Full Time Enrollment Status with Respect to ADA

Matt D. McCoin mdmccoin at stgregorys.edu
Wed Jun 6 08:22:29 CDT 2007

I wanted to seek your opinion regarding a student with a severe learning
disability. Our institution does not currently have a formal "policy"
outlining full-time status definition for those students falling under
ADA. An adjustment was made for a student in the 06-07 academic year
allowing her to be considered a full time student while enrolled in 9
hours. Documentation was gathered from the student's psychologist. The
student is currently enrolled in 6 hours for the Fall 07 semester. One
of the courses is a Math course that will be extremely difficult given
the type of learning disability this student has. The mother is seeking
a letter from the doctor "requesting" the student be considered full
time while only enrolled in 6 hours. Before this request was made I
suggested that the student enroll in an activity based 3 hour course.
Based upon the adjustment that was made last year, the student would
continue to be considered full-time at 9 hours. The mother still may
consider this.

My question to you: Under ADA, are we "required" to make adjustments in
full-time enrollment status based upon the advice of a medical
professional? Without a formal policy we made an adjustment to 9 hours
last year. Will the decision to drop below 12 hours be considered a
precedent for this case in reducing the full time status to 6, or can we
hold to 9 hours based upon the adjustment last year.

Finally,

If we made an adjustment to her institutional scholarships reflecting
she is not incurring full-time costs, would that appear as though we are
not considering her full time with respect to institutional aid, but we
are with respect to federal and state aid. I'm trying to look at every
angle. Thanks for your help.

Matthew D. McCoin

Director of Financial Aid

St. Gregory's University