[Oasfaa] Full Time Enrollment Status with Respect to ADA

Mc Conahay, Pamela K. pmcconahay at ou.edu
Wed Jun 6 09:58:33 CDT 2007

Matt,

You can't adjust her enrollment status for federal aid due to the
disability.  2006-2007 Federal Student Aid Handbook, Volume 1 Student
Eligibility, Chapter 1 School Determined Requirements, page 1-11:

Your definition of a full-time workload for a program must be used

for all students enrolled in that program and must be the same

definition for all FSA-related purposes, including loan deferments.

You can't accommodate a student with a learning disability or other

handicap by allowing the student a full-time enrollment status lower

than the minimum standard.

* Minimum standards for full-time enrollment. You may include any

combination of courses, work, research, or special studies in your

school's definition of workload. The regulations specify a minimum

standard for undergraduate students but not for graduate students.

For undergraduates, full-time status must be at least:

* 12 semester hours or 12 quarter hours per academic term in an

educational program using a semester, trimester, or quarter

system;

* 24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours per academic year for an

educational program using credit hours but not using a

semester, trimester, or quarter system, or the prorated

equivalent for a program of less than one academic year;

* 24 clock hours per week for an educational program using clock

hours;

* a series of courses or seminars equaling 12 semester or quarter

hours over a maximum of 18 weeks; or

* the work portion of a cooperative education program in which

the amount of work performed is equivalent to the academic

workload of a full-time student.

Your school must have a written policy stating what enrollment

status the work portion of a co-op program is equivalent to. If it

equals a full-time academic load, the co-op student is considered full

time regardless of how many credits are earned for the co-op work.

A student taking only correspondence courses is never considered

to be enrolled more than half time. See Volume 3 for more on Pell

and enrollment status and correspondence courses.

If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward his

degree, they cannot be used to determine enrollment status unless

they are noncredit or remedial courses as described in the sidebar.

This means you cannot award the student aid for classes that do not

count toward his degree or certificate.

What you do for institutional aid is up to you.

Pam McConahay
Assoc. Dir., Compliance, Training & Lender Relations
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
1000 Asp Avenue, Room 216 Norman OK 73019-4078
(405) 325-4617  Fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu

This message, and attachments if any,  from the University of Oklahoma
may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this information, you are prohibited from reading,
disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using
this information.  If you received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender and delete this message immediately.  Thank you.