[Oasfaa] high school diploma question

Jonna Raney Jonna.Raney at okbu.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:17:28 CST 2007

I know the regs state a student must have a HS diploma, GED, pass an ability-to-benefit test, be home-schooled,  or have the equivalent of a HS diploma and be accepted as a degree seeking student in order to receive federal aid.

Okay,  My situation is that the student completed English at a college and the high school would not allow the class to count for the hs requirement of Sr. English, so therefore, the student did not receive a diploma.  This student, to my knowledge, also does not have a GED, or any of the other things mentioned above.

So, the question here is, if the college makes an allowance to accept the student based on the fact that we say he completed the hs requirements for a diploma (disagreeing w/ the hs) is the student eligible for federal aid?

My gut says no, but I really need to be wrong here.  :-)

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jonna