[Oasfaa] Oklahoma's Promise survey

Fair, Bryce bfair at osrhe.edu
Mon Oct 29 15:21:50 CDT 2007

To institutions participating in Oklahoma's Promise (OHLAP):

The attached document/survey was distributed at the State Regents' update session at the OASFAA conference last week.  We have received over 30 responses from participants at the conference.  However, it was suggested that we also distribute the survey over the OASFAA listserve to provide an opportunity for response from those unable to attend the session.

The survey is intended to get some feedback on two critical legislative changes (new second income limit & new unique college GPA requirement) that were made to Oklahoma's Promise during the 2007 session.  These two legislative changes could potentially create a real administrative challenge for both our office and the participating institutions.  The attached document has the following:
*	Page 1 is a brief overview of all the changes to OKPromise from SB 820 of the 2007 session.
*	Page 2 shows the exact statutory language of the two changes that we have concerns about-- the new second income limit and the new unique college GPA requirement.  For the second income limit, we are asking preferences on how to implement the new requirement or suggestions of possible legislative amendments to reduce the administrative burden of the requirement.  The new college GPA requirement as currently written in law appears to require a very unique GPA calculation that could also create a new administrative burden.  The statutory language says the student must have a 2.0 GPA for courses taken "during" their sophomore year and a 2.5 GPA for courses taken "during" the junior year and thereafter.  These are not cumulative GPA's.
*	Page 3 has a brief summary of HB 2103, the new "Tuition-Lock" bill that will impact State System institutions.
*	Pages 5-6 are the survey on responses to the two new changes in OKPromise that we are concerned about.

If you would like to respond to the survey you can do it one of two ways:
1.  Type in your response on pages 5-6 of the attached Word document and e-mail the document back to me (type an "X" in the blanks to indicate your preference and type in any additional comments); or
2.  I've copied the survey questions below in the text of this e-mail.  You can cut & paste the questions into a reply e-mail to me, type in your responses, and e-mail your responses back to me.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Bryce Fair

Bryce Fair
Assoc. Vice Chancellor for Scholarships & Grants
Phone:  (405) 225-9162
Fax:  (405) 225-9230
E-mail:  bfair at osrhe.edu

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 108850
Oklahoma City, OK  73101-8850

Street Address:
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK  73104

Oklahoma's Promise Survey
2007 OASFAA Fall Conference

Your Name:
Institution:

I.  Questions related to the new statutory second income limit when the student enters college:
*	Should the FAFSA be used to determine the income of the student's parent (or the income of the student if the student is independent)?     Yes or No
Your response (Yes or No):

*	What income should be used to determine the $100,000 limit?
	A = Total taxable and nontaxable (Current statutory language.  From FAFSA, the closest calculation might be AGI plus Worksheet A and Worksheet B)
	B = Adjusted Gross Income only (from FAFSA; would require a statutory change)
	C = Other (please describe):
	Your response (A, B, or C):

*	Should the income limit be reviewed only once when the student enters college or annually?
	A = Once (The student's eligibility status could not change in the next four years, regardless of changes in student's family financial circumstances.)
	B = Annually (The student's annual FAFSA data would determine annual eligibility.)
	Your response (A or B):

Any additional comments about the second income limit requirement:

II.  Questions related to the new college GPA requirement:
*	Is the new statutory college GPA requirement something that your institution can readily monitor?  Yes or No
Your response (Yes or No):

*	Which GPA methodology is the most effective and efficient to track?
	A = The new statutory requirement method
	B = Cumulative GPA
	C = Other method (please describe):
	Your response (A, B, or C):

Any additional comments about the new college GPA requirements:

III.  Other possible scholarship retention requirements for OKPromise students:
*	Should the State Regents require OKPromise students to meet federal Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for the OKPromise scholarship? Yes or No
Your response (Yes or No):

Any other comments about any additional scholarship retention requirements for OKPromise students:

Please use the space below for any other comments you may have:

  <<10-25-07-OASFAA handout-survey.doc>>