[Oasfaa] Citizens Caring For Children Experience

Joyner, Shiela sjoyner at otag.org
Fri Jul 31 16:26:36 CDT 2009

I have an experience to share with the OASFAA membership that I hope
will bring a smile to many.

Yesterday was a day for mentors to bring children to the CCC Resource
Center for back-to-school "shopping."  Having recently become a mentor
to a five-year old boy, I arranged to pick him up and head that way.
They have shoes, socks, underwear, jeans, pants, and tops arranged just
like a department store.  There is a good variety (all tasteful, all
new) to choose from, and the children are encouraged to pick out things
that they like.  They have dressing areas and a mirror so the kids can
try clothes on to make sure they find just the right outfit.

After they complete their apparel selections, their items are "sacked
up" and they proceed to the sticker and candy room for a short visit
with one of the CCC staff members.  They have a basket of videos, and
the children are invited to pick out two to take with them.

Next a volunteer in the School Supply Room greeted each child, grabbed a
list of their needs according to grade level, and escorted them to a
HUGE MOUNTAIN OF BACKPACKS where the child made their selection.  My
little guy picked out a Transformers backpack and was quite excited
about his choice -- who knows, maybe you donated that Transformers
backpack :-).  They then proceeded around the room loading the backpack
with supplies, and ended at a rack of books where the child was invited
to select a book to take with them.  I did not see a child in there who
was not smiling.

I was so very proud of the work OASFAA has done to accumulate those
backpacks and other items we make a game of competing to collect at our
conferences.  It's surely not a game for these kids, and I just wanted
you to know I saw the happy results of OASFAA's efforts on behalf of
CCC, and I hope your great efforts will continue.

Shiela Joyner
Director, Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant Program
PO Box 108850
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-8850
Internet:  sjoyner at otag.org
Voice:  405.225.9378 or Toll Free 877.662.6231