[Oasfaa] Student who has received asylum

Bledsoe, Mary Lou mary.bledsoe at okstate.edu
Tue Sep 1 15:02:14 CDT 2009

I have a new one that I have not dealt with and would appreciate any input.  I can't seem to locate it in the regs.

We have a student who was granted asylum in March 2009.  He is under the age of 24.  His parents are still in his home country, but he was granted asylum here.

I am curious about his dependency status.   I am not sure why his parents did not apply for asylum, or if they did and were denied.

Would he be considered independent?  He does have contact with his parents in Ethiopia.

Thanks,

Mary Lou Bledsoe

Mary Lou Bledsoe
Director, Student Financial Services