[Oasfaa] Citizens Caring for Children

Nancy Vollertsen nvollertsen at uco.edu
Thu Jan 19 11:58:22 CST 2012

It's hard to believe that January is almost gone and our OASFAA Spring 2012 conference is only three short months away! As we've done in the past, OASFAA will be supporting Citizens Caring for Children for our charitable project. Most of our members are familiar with this outstanding organization, but for our new members the following is a brief description of their mission:

"Citizens Caring for Children breaks the cycle of abuse and neglect for Oklahoma foster children by addressing their material, emotional, intellectual and spiritual needs...because every child deserves the chance for a better life. Through our programs we promote self-worth, self-esteem and develop character to give hope, change lives and create healthy futures."

For additional information feel free to check their website: www.citizenscaringforchildren.org<http://www.citizenscaringforchildren.org>. On their website they explain that one of their programs encourages adults to become mentors for the foster children. In their FAQs they describe becoming a mentor this way:

What is involved in becoming a mentor?
All we ask is that you are able to give of your time. We provide access to passes for you to take your mentee on outings and encourage that you spend time doing activities that promote education when possible. In addition, you must attend and complete mentor training, pass a background test and provide a monthly recap of activities you completed with your mentee.

In previous years we have donated clothing, toiletry items, backpacks and duffle bags for the foster children themselves. This year, however, we are doing something different. As described above, the mentors have access to passes so they can take their child on outings. We want to help provide those passes, so our project this year is to collect gift cards to fun or educational places that the child and mentor can enjoy together. Some possible suggestions are movie theaters, the zoo, Omniplex, bowling, McDonalds....you get the idea! Use your imagination because anything will be appreciated.

As always we will divide into teams for a little "friendly" competition. The details are still being worked out, but we will probably award 1 point for every $5.00 donated. The competition will conclude at our Thursday night entertainment, which will be bowling this year, and the winning team announced. The losing team captains (and maybe even the winner) will get to do something "fun" for the rest of us. If the past competitions are any example I'm sure costumes, music and probably dancing will be involved! You won't want to miss it.

So start thinking about fun places you go that sell gift cards and pick up several the next time you're there. These kids and the adults who are contributing their time to make their lives a little better are worth it!

Nancy Vollertsen
Financial Aid Counselor
University of Central Oklahoma
100 N. University Drive
Box 162
Edmond, OK  73013
(405) 974-2379

**Bronze+Blue=Green** The University of Central Oklahoma is Bronze, Blue, and Green! Please print this e-mail only if absolutely necessary!

**CONFIDENTIALITY** This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure or use of this information is prohibited.