[Oasfaa] Difficult verification

Tami Garcia tgarcia at tctc.org
Wed Aug 14 10:11:16 CDT 2013

I actually found information showing that it does from several "Federal" sources.

The NOLO website lists all the states which allow Common Law Marriage and Oklahoma is listed. There are 16 of them, but some have restrictions like "Only if before 1/1/97 ". Oklahoma does not have any restrictions on theirs. The USCIS website (Homeland Security) also lists Oklahoma as a state that does recognize Common Law Marriage and defines what is required. The Department of Labor also lists Oklahoma as a Common Law Marriage state in their Common Law Marriage Handbook.

So, I would count them as married and verify them that way.