[Oasfaa] article related to Oklahoma's Promise Day at the State Capitol

Fair, Bryce bfair at osrhe.edu
Mon Apr 20 11:48:16 CDT 2015

FYI - The following article was on the front page of the Saturday Daily Oklahoman this past weekend.  I've added one minor editorial comment (italicized) in the text below related to a bill mentioned in the article.  You can find the article, which also has a couple of photos, online at http://newsok.com/oklahomas-promise-scholarship-program-important-to-states-future-supporters-say/article/5411387.

Oklahoma's Promise scholarship program important to state's future, supporters say
The Oklahoma's Promise program pays the tuition at any Oklahoma public college or university for qualifying students, who must meet academic and family income requirements.
By Kathryn McNutt
The Oklahoman
4/18/2015

A program that pays the tuition at any Oklahoma public college or university for qualifying students took center stage at the state Capitol this week when supporters gathered to thank legislators and urge them to preserve the program's dedicated funding source.

Rep. Justin Wood, R-Shawnee, didn't need convincing. He is among more than 65,000 recipients who have benefited from the program since its inception in 1992.

Oklahoma's Promise is a "life-changing intervention in a young person's life," Wood said after speaking to the crowd. "It says, 'The state of Oklahoma believes in you. We believe in your ability to succeed.'"

That belief in a student - coupled with the knowledge that tuition will be paid - can be the motivation needed to push forward, he said.

The fear of burdensome debt at graduation and a lack of belief in themselves keep a lot of people from going to college, Wood said.

"The fact that any young person in the state that qualifies has that opportunity to go to school - not free, but tuition-free - is a big deal."

Paying the tuition for every qualifying student cost the state $61 million last year.

"It's a large commitment by the state. That's a lot of money off the top every year," Wood said.

Oklahoma's Promise is among the programs - like road and bridge construction - that are funded directly "off the top" rather than from the dollars available for the Legislature and governor to appropriate.

The investment is worth it, supporters say, because students who complete the program perform higher than their peers in terms of grade point average, ACT score, degree completion and subsequent employment in Oklahoma.

In short, they become productive adults and taxpayers.

"That's why Oklahoma's Promise is so important to the state of Oklahoma and its future," Gov. Mary Fallin told the 300 students, faculty and other supporters who gathered at the Capitol.

The benefits of the program are obvious for the students who receive the scholarship and earn a degree, Fallin said. "But I want to talk a little about why this program should be important to all of us."

Educational attainment is the key to long-term prosperity in Oklahoma, Fallin said.

"If we can increase our educational attainment as a state, we will benefit from everything from higher earnings to less crime, less teen pregnancy, and less reliance on government aid."

Three bills regarding Oklahoma's Promise are pending in the Legislature, including one that would require students to complete at least 24 credit hours per academic year and would extend the deadline to apply for the program by one year.

Another two bills have been signed by the governor. One establishes an appeals process for students who have been denied the scholarship [Note - this bill, SB 137, doesn't actually set up an appeals process, but rather directs the State Regents to review the applications of students whose families receive certain types of untaxed income - Bryce Fair]. The other ensures all foster parents are given information about the program.

Higher education Chancellor Glen Johnson keeps a close eye on bills that address Oklahoma's Promise, which he touts as "one of America's best college access programs, a model that combines emphases on academic preparation and financial support for college."

"This is a program that's working well. We do want to preserve what we think is a very good scholarship program," Johnson said. "We don't want anything that restricts the access."

The number of recipients has been declining since a peak of 20,084 four years ago. During the current academic year, about 18,300 students are expected to receive the scholarship, and that number is expected to drop to about 17,550 students in 2015-16.

One reason for the decline is the income level, which hasn't been adjusted in 15 years, Johnson said.

A family's annual income can be no more than $50,000 when the student enrolls. That limit - set in 2000 - means only 44 percent of Oklahoma families are eligible for the program today, he said.

Adjusted for inflation, $50,000 in 2000 would equal $64,000 today, Johnson said.

Sen. Jim Halligan, R-Stillwater, a former university president, is sponsoring a bill that would raise the income limit to $55,000.

"It starts the conversation," Johnson said. "After 15 years, an adjustment of the limit is important to keep the program vibrant."

Good grades, behavior
Oklahoma's Promise covers tuition, but not the cost of mandatory fees, books and other expenses. It helps families afford college, but it isn't a free ride.

Students have to earn the scholarship through academic achievement and good citizenship, Rep. Wood said.

"You have to qualify, you have to keep your grades up, you have to be good, you can't get in trouble," he said. "You can lose that scholarship by getting in trouble with the law. You can lose that scholarship by not making good grades."

That can make students think twice about studying for a test instead of goofing off with friends, he said.

Students who keep their promise are rewarded with the state's financial support and encouragement as they enter college.

"We believe in the children of Oklahoma, and we're going to get you that first step," Wood said.

Bryce Fair
Associate Vice Chancellor for Scholarships and Grants
P.O. Box 108850
Oklahoma City, OK  73101-8850
Email:  bfair at osrhe.edu
Phone: 405-225-9162