[Oasfaa] Interesting perspective

Schmerer, Mendy M. (HSC) Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu
Fri Jan 9 10:31:05 CST 2015

If you haven't read your NASFAA Today's News yet, I'd recommend reading this article when you've got a moment.  In our field, it can be really easy to get bogged down in the negatives--administrative burdens, tightening or non-existent budgets, student and parent complaints, systems issues, institutional politics, the list can go on and on.  However, I believe that in any given day, in any situation, you've got to find the positives.  Sometimes they can be harder to find than you'd like, but they are there, I promise.

Regardless of your political ideology, your personal perspective, and even your own personal experience with college costs, for so many of our students, loans are an unfortunate necessity.  We certainly all have our own opinions regarding higher education and the value, cost, and investment that it entails.  However, in a complex world, with a complex issue like funding a higher education, when you talk to parents and students about what can be such a bleak, but necessary, topic like student debt, these might be a few points you want to highlight.  We all know what positive impacts come from having informed and knowledgeable borrowers!

http://www.nasfaa.org/Main/fa-news/opin/Commentary__11_Uniquely_Positive_Things_About_Federal_Student_Loans.aspx

Thanks, and everyone have great Friday, and try to stay warm!

Mendy Schmerer, M.Ed.
Assistant Director
Office of Student Financial Aid
1106 N. Stonewall, Rm 301