[Oasfaa] PJ question

Perry Diehm pdiehm at mail.snu.edu
Thu Aug 16 14:18:14 CDT 2018

Hi Joanna:

As a homeschooling dad, and a financial aid officer for 33 years, I would
probably not count the musical instrument.  Unless things have changed in
Band classes since I was in high school, most students had to pay for their
own instruments anyway unless they played a harp, a string bass, or a low
brass instrument (Euphonium, Tuba, etc)  I had to buy my own trombone in
fifth grade.

I would count Drivers Ed curriculum and fuel (not the car) because those
expenses are usually covered by the school.  At least where I come from in
Kansas.

Grad expenses - usually, no.  Many schools where I am from have fees for
graduation.

Dance and Band expenses - that is a hard one.  Most were covered by the
school when I was in school and so I could see where it could be a legit
extra expense for a homeschool family.

My general thought as I worked with these and trained others in homeschool
financial aid in Kansas and RMASFAA was to try to figure out if the expense
would have been a expense the family would have had in public or private
school.  If the family would have had to pay for the item or activity
anyway, I would say no; but if it was something that would be covered by
the school if they attended a traditional school, then I tended to say
yes.  Also, if the dance or music was included as a class with a grade on
their HS transcript, I would be more likely to accept (with consideration
to the first sentence in the paragraph).

I used this more as a rule of thumb than a hard and fast absolute rule, but
that thinking generally help you come to a decision.

Hopefully this long, drawn out, and rambling reply helps.

Perry

--
Perry Diehm
Director of PGS Student Financial Assistance

Office 405-491-6310
Fax 405-717-6271

Strengths Finder info: Context, Connectedness, Learner, Input, WOO

"God does not call the equipped, he equips the called"