[Oasfaa] Parents married?

Karen Jeffers karen.jeffers at tulsacc.edu
Tue Jun 5 08:42:30 CDT 2018

We look for Comment Codes 361-364 for parents of dependent students and 365-368 for students.  These particular comment codes indicate that the tax filing status does not agree with marital status.  At TCC, we select these students for verification and ask for marital status documentation.  A couple years ago, the comment code guide indicated that resolution was required, now it just says that ED encourages schools to review the students record.  Below is a snippet of the 1819 SAR Comment Code guide.  We go back and forth on how much information we want/need to collect.  I tend to think that the discrepancy between marital status and tax filing status presents conflicting information that must be resolved which is why we select them the moment we receive the ISIR with any of the comment codes I mentioned.  We also found that just selecting them from the start eliminated the need to ask for additional information throughout the verification process.

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D3FCA9.22DC93B0]

Thank you,
Karen

Karen Jeffers
Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships
Tulsa Community College
3727 E Apache St
Tulsa, OK 74115

918-595-7362