[Oasfaa] Service Project

Lori Deardorff ldeardorff at mail.snu.edu
Fri Mar 16 15:06:08 CDT 2018

This year as Local Arrangement Chair, I had the opportunity to choose the
OASFAA service project and ways our members can support an organization.  I
chose *Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy *"OICA", http://oica.org/.
<http://oica.org/>
Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy (OICA) – “Creating ...
<http://oica.org/>
oica.org
Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy (OICA) “Creating awareness, taking
action, and supporting policy to improve the health, safety, and well-being
of Oklahoma’s ...

The Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy (OICA) was launched in 1983 by a
group of citizens as the result of an investigative report by the national
news media which exposed a horrific story of cruelty and abuse experienced
by Oklahoma children who were in the state’s custody.  That media report,
“Oklahoma Shame,” spurred child advocates from every corner of the state
into action to create an organization whose mission was to ensure the
protection of Oklahoma’s children. OICA was established to create a strong
advocacy network that would provide a voice for the needs of children and
youth in Oklahoma, particularly those in the state’s care and those growing
up amid poverty, violence, abuse and neglect, disparities, or other
situations that put their lives and future at risk.

*So I bet you're wondering how can you help?*  Like prior years  we will
still be raffling off specific-themed baskets; you can buy tickets for each
basket and on Thursday night we will draw tickets and call those lucky
numbers. *Please bring a basket from your school to be included in the
silent auction or you can make cash donations by going to their website,*
lets help *OICA* protect our children.

Thank you,
Lori Deardorff
Director of Financial Aid-Traditional