[Oasfaa] Board of Directors Meeting Summaries

Melanie Rinehart M.Rinehart at sscok.edu
Tue Dec 17 15:59:10 CST 2019

Dear OASFAA Membership,

I will be sending out short summaries of each OASFAA Board meeting in efforts to keep everyone informed of the happenings and going on's of OASFAA! I have a little bit of catching up to do because your BOD has already met three times so bear with me. I promise my emails won't always be this long!

July 15th meeting -

-          OASFAA is in the process of moving our website to a different provider. The new website will lend to much more and much better functionality that the current site. It will be a process that will take some time, but the work has started.

-          There were a lot of Legislative updates given by Jonna... but she has been so awesome about sending those directly to you I'm not going to rehash them on here.

-          The 2019-2020 budget was discussed and approved. No major changes from prior year's budget.

August 15th email vote -

-          The BOD approved to leave association dues the same as prior year's ($200).

October 18th meeting -

-          Lori Boyd regretfully resigned from her position as Treasurer Elect. Brad Burnett was asked if he would assume the position for the 2019-2020 year and he agreed.

-          The Advisory Committee is looking for committee members. This committee is required to have representatives from each sector.

-          An OASFAA master calendar was created on Google calendars to help the BOD organize and meet deadlines.

-          It was confirmed that the OASFAA listserv members are only OASFAA members (ie. there is no FSA, Dept of ED or NASFAA employees on the listserv) so users can feel comfortable in asking their colleagues questions through the listserv.

-          The OASFAA website has been updated with past year's award winners.

-          The Long Range Planning committee submitted recommendations for a mission statement, vision statement and strategic goals for OASFAA and they were approved. They are:

o   Mission Statement: OASFAA promotes the professional development of student financial aid administrators, assists in the development of student financial aid programs for post-secondary students in Oklahoma, and facilitates communication between institutions and the sponsors of financial aid funds.

o   Vision Statement: OASFAA will serve as the primary resource for financial aid training in the state of Oklahoma.

o   Strategic Goals: 1) Improve member engagement; 2) Increase volunteerism; 3) Develop a long-term plan for ensuring the fiscal health of the organization

-          The OASFAA BOD will also be looking at the association's governing documents for any possible changes that might be needed.

-          There was a lot of discussion on the conference. The dates are April 1st - 3rd, 2020 and it will be held at the Reed Center in Midwest City. I don't want to give away any of the juicy details just yet so stay tuned for more details.

December 17th meeting -

-          Lori Deardorff regretfully resigned from her committee chair positions. Since there were already co-chairs in place, they will assume full committee chair responsibilities and continue the committee's work.

-          The Advisory Committee is still in need of a representative from a private institution... if you're interested, contact Melinda Simpson at msimpson at matech.edu<mailto:msimpson at matech.edu>.

-          The new website is currently being worked on. More information will be coming soon.

-          Again, there was a lot of discussion on the conference. It was decided to have a Pre-Conference as before and the NASFAA Verification credential is being looked at as the topic. It was determine to leave conference rates the same as last year. A theme was chosen and the non-profit was selected to receive the proceeds from the basket raffle. The program is coming together and some really exciting sessions are planned. Lots of busy bees working on décor, entertainment and menus. It will definitely be a must go event for us all! Be sure you put it on your calendars!

-          The 2020-2021 OASFAA Officer ballot is still in the process of being filled. If you're interested in running for a position on the OASFAA Board, we are always in need of volunteers. Contact Alicia Smith at alicia.smith at metrotech.edu<mailto:alicia.smith at metrotech.edu>!

-          There was some discussion about a possible SWASFAA/OASFAA combined conference in 2021. It was determine that a lot more information is needed so discussion was tabled.

Respectfully and humbly submitted,
Melanie Rinehart, MBA CFAA CFEI
2019-2020 OASFAA Secretary
Director of Financial Assistance
2701 Boren Blvd
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74868
Office: 405.382.9717
Fax: 405.382.9579
m.rinehart at sscok.edu

Electronic correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the Oklahoma Open Records Act and may be disclosed to third parties. This correspondence is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and/or entity named as recipient(s) in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material. Thank you.