[Oasfaa] Selective Service issue

Schmerer, Mendy M. (HSC) Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu
Mon May 18 22:30:36 CDT 2020

All, I hope this finds you healthy and well, and that the CARES Act funds have been easy to implement on your campuses. Right? Because I know they have been.

With our population of students, we almost never have Selective Service issues to work through, so this is new to me and I'm looking for some advice that falls into the "what would you do" category.

We have a 42 year old naturalized citizen who is entering one of our programs. We have a copy of the letter from Selective Service System, from 2011, that confirms he was required to register but did not. We also have a copy of his 2011 statement that states, "{his name} declare that for me the Selective Service System, was I new government institution and I did not have any knowledge of it. Therefore, I evidence that my failure to register was not a knowing and willful failure to register by the time I was 26 years of age of younger."

Given the date on the statement and that he has received aid from 3 other Oklahoma schools since then, I'm assuming the copy of this letter was sufficient at the time he was establishing eligibility, although I'm having my doubts that it stands by itself, regardless of what he might think happened at the time. When I read the Handbook<https://ifap.ed.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/2019-08/1920FSAHbkVol1Ch5.pdf>, page 1-76, and it states that the student should "provide as complete a description about his situation as possible: where he was living during the period when he should have registered, whether he was incarcerated or institutionalized, his citizenship status during the period, if applicable, and so on." His statement alone doesn't provide any of that context.

We're still working on getting a clear copy of his passport with entry stamps and/or his I20, but given current logistical challenges, we're having trouble getting a legible copy to visually verify any of his timeline in the US.

On that old statement alone, I'm inclined to deny his aid because it's simply not enough. However, since 3 other offices have been able to establish his eligibility in the past 9 years, I feel like they key has to be in his passport, student visa, etc. Right? Or is a new statement from the student, worded with more clarity that what I currently have, sufficient?

Thanks, everyone, I hope I get to see you soon somehow!

The week of May 18th through May 22nd, the Office of Student Financial Aid will be open 8AM - 5PM on Monday, the 18th, Wednesday, the 20th, and Friday, the 22nd. The other days, all staff will continue teleworking.

Mendy Schmerer, MEd, CFAA
Director, Office of Student Financial Aid | SWASFAA President, 2020
865 University Research Park, Suite 240 | Oklahoma City, OK  73104
O (405) 271-2118, x 48817 | F (405) 271-5446
Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu<mailto:Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu>
https://financialservices.ouhsc.edu/Departments/Student-Financial-Aid
www.facebook.com/OUHSCFinancialAid<http://www.facebook.com/OUHSCFinancialAid>
[Certified Financial Aid Administrator(tm) (CFAA) - sha256$dd67125bf7320df2abed03a5a6c59141f0a5ed526f6bf29eb1ccf990f13996d8]
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email, including any attachments, contains information from The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, which may be confidential or privileged.  The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments.