[Oasfaa] Refunding Policy for Modules and Full-Term Courses

Danielle Cox danielle.wellman at okbu.edu
Wed Feb 22 11:37:53 CST 2023

Does anyone currently operate with a block tuition setup and also have a mixture of module and full-term courses where students can be enrolled in both?

We have typically only offered full-term courses in our undergraduate program. We have just recently added some 8-week module style courses that they can take within the 16-week term. Students can be enrolled in both. My question is surrounding your processes and policies for refunding when they withdraw.

Our 8-week courses have their own refunding schedule, which obviously differs greatly from our 16-week courses. When a student fully withdraws, the refund on their block tuition rate is now extremely messy. They might be eligible for 0% refund on their 8-week course but a 40% refund on the 16-week courses. Does your block rate then break down into an hourly rate for refunding?

How do you handle institutional financial aid in these situations? Federal aid has it's own guidelines, but we would normally let a student keep 60% of their institutional aid if they are getting a 40% refund (60% of the aid towards 60% of the charges). Now that seems much less clear as their refund is not a straight 60% across the board.

I also don't feel that we are set up for this to work properly. We are seeing that students in this situation are not being refunded correctly when their courses are withdrawn. If you are a Banner school, would you be willing to let us reach out to you and/or your Registrar or Bursars office to seek clarification on setup?

Thanks for any help! Our institution implemented this without much input from our office and now we are scrambling to react for these students who have withdrawn and are expecting a refund.

[OBU]
Danielle Cox

Director of Student Financial Services
Student Financial Services

500 West University Street
Shawnee, Oklahoma 74804

405.585.5020 (office)

Oklahoma Baptist University exists to equip the next generation of future shapers to live all of life, all for Jesus.