[Oasfaa] Borrower Defense Claim Notifications to Schools

Hendrickson, Vicki vicki-hendrickson at utulsa.edu
Fri Sep 29 09:05:59 CDT 2023

Good Morning OASFAA friends,

Chad is correct, notification comes to the President and the Financial Aid Director by email.  The individual claims are housed in COD.

I listened to an audio briefing last week with my legal counsel provided by NACUA on Borrow Defense Claims, presented by NACUA members Seth Gilbertson, Senior Counsel, Bond, Schoeneck & King, PLLC and Terance (Tery) Gonsalves, Partner, Alston & Bird LLP.  It was a great resource; I believe it was taped and shared with all NACUA members.  Reach out to your legal counsel and see if they have access, it was 30 minutes long, and well worth the time.
What I took away from it is this, if the school does not respond to the Borrower Defense Claim, the Department of Education will presume we agree with the claim. It is recommended that schools respond to every claim, either through a blanket denial, denying the accusation, or through a full investigation, treating it much like litigation.  It was clearly stated that there is a need for schools to protect themselves, which is why a response is necessary.

I hope everyone is doing great, we have made it through another week and have a beautiful weekend to enjoy!

Vicki Hendrickson

Director, Student Financial Services
The University of Tulsa
800 South Tucker Drive
Tulsa, OK 74104-9700
(918) 631-2670
Vicki-hendrickson at utulsa.edu<mailto:Vicki-hendrickson at utulsa.edu>
http://admission.utulsa.edu/financial-aid/

Your offer letter can be found here<https://selfservice.utulsa.edu/Student/FinancialAid/AwardLetter/>.
To complete your FAFSA, Master Promissory Note  or Entrance Loan Counseling<https://studentaid.gov/>.
To complete your FERPA<https://canelink.utulsa.edu/ferpas> form.

Do not send sensitive information through email
(i.e. combination of name, address, birthdate, social security number, etc.)