[Oasfaa] National Default Prevention Day

Martin, Bob Bob.Martin at ed.gov
Mon Jun 25 08:09:58 CDT 2001

Dear OASFAA members:

Please join us for National Default Prevention Day!  Student Financial
Assistance cordially invites your institution to come to the Region VI
Training Facility located at 1999 Bryan Street, Suite 2735, Dallas, Texas on
August 2, 2001. The ideal participant at this technical assistance session
would be an individual who has a role in default prevention and in the
delivery of Title IV funds.
Unless a school is required to submit a default management plan, all too
often default management is limited to entrance and exit counseling. We all
know the possible impact of a defaulted student loan: negative credit
ratings, withholding of federal tax refunds, payment of additional
collection costs, and garnishment. Students and institutions are entitled to
the best possible methods that are available to reduce defaults. A
successful default management program is becoming more of a priority with
institutions as student loan debt continues to rise, along with the cost of
education.
A variety of tools is available to assist institutions. Developed by the
Department of Education and others in the industry, these tools are proven
effective in reducing the Cohort Default Rate. These include videos,
brochures, and websites. Participants will learn how to select from these
tools and apply them effectively. We will also explore best practices,
analyzing demographic data, possible changes to packaging and awarding
philosophies, and tracking and projecting default rates. In partnership with
your institution, SFA would like to be proactive in reducing defaults.
The seating capacity of the Dallas Training Facility is limited; so, please
make your reservation before June 30. There is no charge to participate.
Participants must arrange their own transportation and lodging. This
technical assistance session will be an excellent opportunity to meet the
staffs from the Direct Loan School Relations Office, Case Management and
Oversight, Partner Services, and Debt Collections.
The session will begin at 9:00 AM and conclude by approximately 4:00 PM.
In order to register please visit the following web site:
<<http://bcol01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/SFA/register2a.cfm>>. If you have any
questions, please contact our office at 214-880-2405.
All other Regional Training Facilities as well as Headquarters Regional
Training Facility will host National Default Prevention Day on August 2nd,
as well.  If any other Regional Training Facility is more convenient for
you, you may register to attend that session instead.  Use the web site
listed above, and contact our office at 214-880-2405 with any questions.
Several of your colleagues have already registered.  We hope you will join
them!

Bob Martin
Client Account Manager (CAM)
U.S. Department of Education
SFA, Direct Loan School Relations Office
Region VI, Dallas
(214) 880-2413
(214) 880-2402 (fax)
Bob.Martin at ed.gov