[Oasfaa] verification question

Mc Conahay, Pamela K pmcconahay at ou.edu
Tue Aug 6 16:45:23 CDT 2002

Diana,

One of those idjits at FedAid called you stupid?  The GALL of those people.

If the student listed a woman as a "stepmother" on his verification
worksheet, we would have asked for her income info.  If dad turned around
and said "she's just my girlfriend", we would have followed up to find out
if this did qualify as a common-law marriage.....you don't get to "King's X,
alley alley oxen free" reporting someone as your stepmother just by verbally
backpedaling when we call you on it.

And, if Dad signed the verification worksheet with the woman listed as
"stepmother", I'd consider that "representing yourselves to the public as
being married" as shown in the Oklahoma common-law definition.

Pam McConahay
Asst. Director, Compliance & Support Services
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
731 Elm, Rm 125 Norman OK 73019-2111
(405) 325-4617  Fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu