[OKAIRP] Request

Cal Easterling ceasterling at oru.edu
Tue Jul 19 08:53:19 CDT 2011

At Oral Roberts University, we built an in-house system two years ago.
It required some programming at the beginning, of course, but now we are
just tweaking once in a while.

The biggest challenge has been timing, since we have modular and online
classes that begin and end on seemingly irregular schedules, so we had
to program it so that I could make it begin and end at the right times
for every course. Students should not be able to evaluate the course and
professor after the final exam because they could potentially be
emotionally angry if they did not do well on it.

Faculty members should not be able to see the results until after they
have posted grades because they might be tempted to retaliate against
students for low ratings. On the other hand, they (particularly the
Business faculty) want to know which students participated in the SOS
(Student Opinion Survey) so that they can give extra credit as an
incentive to do the evaluation. So, we created a way for faculty members
to see who participated--but not their evaluations--until after grades
are posted. If there are fewer than five responding students in a
section, the instructor cannot see the names.

The first time, even with plenty of communication, we had only about a
30% response rate, so I had a drawing for 2 iPods and lots of coolers
filled with Pepsi products. That raised us to 60%. This year, we had
50%, which is short of where I'd like to be (though in terms of
sampling, it is quite decent), so I may try to incentivize again, but
the key is to have the faculty remind students to do it. I'm thinking
that we should get near 100% participation.

Have a happy day!

Cal Easterling, Ph.D.
Institutional Research
Oral Roberts University
(918)495-6538
http://ir.oru.edu
http://ePortfolio.oru.edu ( http://eportfolio.oru.edu/ )
ceasterling at oru.edu
>>> Cindy Boling <CBoling at uco.edu> 7/18/2011 4:23 PM >>>

UCO will also be looking at the student evaluations of instructors this
year.  I might add these questions to Janet’s:
6.  Are you using an in-house or vendor solution?
7.  Is this on online or paper evaluation?
8.  What kind of response rates are you getting?

Cindy Boling
Director, Institutional Research
University of Central Oklahoma
405.974.3342