[OKAIR] OKAIR Call for Proposals is Now Open

Eastwood, Matthew matthew.a.eastwood at occc.edu
Wed Mar 6 08:48:27 CST 2013

Good morning everyone,

Below and attached is some important information regarding the upcoming OKAIR Spring Conference being held at the end of April.  Please take a few minutes to review the information when possible.

Spring 2013 - OKAIR - Call for Proposals

Notes from the Board:

                We would like to thank everyone who contributed to the fall 2012 OKAIR conference held at Mid-American Christian University - attendees, presenters and notably our gracious conference hosts.  We had an outstanding turnout, some lively discussions and the conference was indeed a great success!

The spring 2013 conference will be hosted by Northeastern State University at the Broken Arrow campus on April 19th, 2013.  We had several new faces at our most recent conference and we are looking forward to seeing everyone again this spring.  OKAIR conferences are great opportunities for networking as well as professional development.  Please consider submitting a proposal for presentation and share your victories, insights and concerns.  See ya soon!
- Matthew Eastwood

Call for Proposals:

                The Oklahoma Association for Institutional Research (OKAIR) invites interested parties to submit one or more proposals for presentation at the spring 2013 Conference.  The major theme for this spring's conference will be 'Best Practices and Understanding the Big Picture of an IR Office'.  We are fortunate to have Professor Andrew Urich as our keynote speaker.  Professor Urich is a lecturer, researcher, and consultant in the areas of influence, negotiation, ethics and critical thinking and will make a presentation as to how these aspects can relate to one's Institutional Research shop.

With a broad based theme for this spring's conference, please do not hesitate to submit a proposal on any topic that would be of interest to higher education professionals working in research, assessment, planning or any of the wide variety of functions that our attendees have gained experience.  Proposals will be due by Friday, March 29.  To submit a proposal, please fill out the attached Word document and submit the proposal to:

Matthew Eastwood, OKAIR President

matthew.a.eastwood at occc.edu<mailto:matthew.a.eastwood at occc.edu>

(405) 682-1611 Ext. 7165 or (405) 830-2712

Topics and Suggestions as Provided by Our Members:

Recent written and email feedback regarding potential topics that are of interest include:

-          HLC Pathways (Lots of Feedback on This Issue)

-          UDS Issues (OSHRE Overview and Potential Issues)

-          Tracking Graduates' Success (Data Collection and Measuring Success)

-          Academic and Non-Academic Assessment Areas

-          Issues in Online Education

-          Established Best Practices of IR Offices

-          Paperless Data Reporting

-          Utilizing Spreadsheets and other Related Software

-          How to Measure Student Success

-          Current Issues Facing Institutional Researchers

-          ANY TOPIC OF RELEVANCE TO OKLAHOMA COLLEGES
Individuals whose proposals have been accepted for presentation at the conference will be notified via email and/or telephone no later than April 2nd and will be eligible to receive the early bird registration rate.  Questions about proposals or presentations may be directed to Matthew Eastwood at matthew.a.eastwood at occc.edu.

A Small Request for All Conference Attendees:

As everyone in IR is aware, the demands and variety of tasks placed on our office can easily become overwhelming at times.  If possible, the OKAIR board would request that each college in attendance provide a list of some of the reports and functions that your IR performs on a regular basis.  The board will compile the results and publish the findings.  This information could be valuable for those just entering the wonderful world of IR, and as a source internally to demonstrate the increasing demands placed on many of our departments.

Please watch the OKAIR website (www.ok-air.org<http://www.ok-air.org>) for spring 2013 conference information details and registration announcements!

Matthew Eastwood, Institutional Research Analyst
Office of Institutional Effectiveness
Oklahoma City Community College
7777 South May Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73159

Email:  matthew.a.eastwood at occc.edu<mailto:matthew.a.eastwood at occc.edu>
Phone:  (405) 682-1611 Ext. 7165

A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation.   - Cicero