[Okepas] Transcripting Concurrent courses

Brown, Cynthia (OSRHE) cbrown at osrhe.edu
Thu Nov 18 15:56:25 CST 2010

Oklahoma Colleagues:

After much discussion during our Fall Regional Workshops and more discussion here among Regent's staff, I want to clarify the issues relative to transcripting concurrent courses for your students.

http://www.sde.state.ok.us/Schools/Counseling/Concurrent.html includes the state law, State Regents policy and State Board of Education regulations relative to concurrent enrollment.

The issue on which the law, policy and regulations are silent, and many of you have asked about, relates to transcripting and recording the grade for the concurrent courses as well as figuring gpa (grade point average).  As we have discussed when state law or state rule is silent, the issue is for local school policymakers to decide.

As you know the law now requires:
*         When a student earns college credit through concurrent enrollment, school districts shall provide academic credit for any concurrently enrolled higher education courses that are correlated with the academic credit awarded by the institution of higher education.  Academic credit shall only be transcripted as elective credit if there is no correlation between the concurrent enrollment higher education course and a course provided by the school district (70 O.S. § 628.13).
This statute is clear that "credit" must be given for concurrent enrollment courses.  Whether it is "academic credit" or "elective credit" is left to local policymakers.  All issues relative to grading are also local policy issues.  As we discussed in our workshops it is very important for school districts to have official policies.

Because of impact on scholarships including Oklahoma's Promise, many of you are rightly concerned about how grading should be handled:
Should the course be averaged into the gpa?
Should a grade be placed on the transcript?

These remain local decisions but for Oklahoma's Promise purposes, should your district choose not to place a grade on the transcript, you must send a copy of the student's higher education transcript with the high school transcript.  This will allow the OK Promise staff to use the concurrent enrollment course grade rather than a "D" in figuring the required gpa.