[Okepas] Research opportunity for high school science teachers & students

Brown, Cynthia (OSRHE) cbrown at osrhe.edu
Mon Nov 29 09:15:59 CST 2010

This message is for high school science and math teachers. Please
forward to the appropriate teachers.

Hello OK Regional Science Fair and OJAS Directors,

Oklahoma State University is preparing an NSF DR-K12 grant proposal (see
information below and attachments) that will provide  teachers and
students with a wonderful opportunity to participate in summer research
experiences as a way to strengthen the teacher workforce and student
learning. As we prepare to write this proposal we are seeking teachers
who would be interested in participating in the SPIRIT (Science
Partnerships to Inspire Research and Innovative Teaching) mentoring
program and asking them to write a letter of commitment that could be
submitted with the grant proposal application. Attached is the SPIRIT
notification and a sample Letter of Commitment. Would you please forward
this email on to Oklahoma high school science teachers.

Sincerely,

Julie Angle
Oklahoma State University

Hello Oklahoma High School Science Teacher,

This email is to alert you to a professional development opportunity for
high school teachers. To advance science fair opportunities for high
school students, OSU researchers and science education faculty are
preparing an NSF grant proposal.  The proposed project, SPIRIT (Science
Partnerships to Inspire Research and Innovative Teaching), will prepare
high school teachers to coach students in science research competitions.
Once funded, we expect to increase the science literacy of all SPIRIT
teachers' students and to increase the number of Oklahoma students who
participate in science research competitions. This will be accomplished
in 6 ways:

1.     Teachers will receive funds to attend the Intel International
Science and Engineering Fair in May. This will give teachers a sense of
the caliber of projects at the international level of competition,
observe the project review protocol, attend teacher meetings to network
with experienced science fair coaches, and attend award ceremonies..

2.     Five teachers and 10 students (two students per teacher) will
engage in a six-week summer research experience on the OSU campus with
science, engineering, or mathematics faculty on current research that
could develop into student projects for regional/state science fair,
Oklahoma Junior Academy of Science (OJAS), or the Junior Science and
Humanities Symposium (JSHS).

3.     Teachers will receive professional development during the summer
research experience and throughout the year. These sessions will help
teachers mentor students in science research and coach them in science
research competitions.

4.     OSU research and science education faculty will visit SPIRIT
teachers' schools (physically and virtually) to provide continued
support throughout the school year.

5.     Housing and stipends will be provided for teachers and students
who attend the summer research experience and teachers will receive a
stipend for coaching students in science research competitions.

6.     Schools will receive compensation for a "course buy-out" which
will allow SPIRIT teachers to teach a science research course in lieu of
a traditionally taught course. .

If you are interested in the SPIRIT program, I need a Letter of
Commitment from your school administrator.  Attached is a template for
the Letter of Commitment that can be used to aid in writing the letter.
I would be happy to visit with you or your administrator directly
(within the next two weeks) to provide assistance in preparing your
Letter of Commitment. Letters of Commitment must be printed on school
letterhead and received no later than December 13, 2010.

Please contact me if you have questions regarding the SPIRIT program or
the required Letter of Commitment.  Thank you in advance for your
support of the SPIRIT effort to strengthen the Oklahoma science teaching
profession and ultimately student learning.

Sincerely,

Julie Angle

Dr. Julie Angle, NBCT
Secondary Science Education