[Okepas] FW: "The Art of the Military Child" --- April

Brown, Cynthia (OSRHE) cbrown at osrhe.edu
Fri Feb 28 08:54:37 CST 2014

From: owner-counselors at LISTSERV.SDE.OK.GOV [mailto:owner-counselors at LISTSERV.SDE.OK.GOV] On Behalf Of Melissa White
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:05 PM
To: COUNSELORS at LISTSERV.SDE.OK.GOV
Subject: "The Art of the Military Child" --- April

I would like to share two opportunities that may be of great interest to your fellow educators and administrators.  As the school counselor, you are in a unique position to help us get this information to your colleagues.  Each of the two initiatives provides unique opportunities to honor and celebrate the military children in your schools and communities.  Did you know that April is the Month of the Military Child?!

"The Art of the Military Child".....
One of the programs we featured at our display was "The Art of the Military Child.  This is an exciting program featuring the artistic and writing talents of our military kids.  It is also a partnership opportunity for faculty and an opportunity for your school to showcase the talents of your students in your community.
More than 33,000 military-connected students live in Oklahoma.  "The Art of the Military Child" will be a fantastic way for the school and community to recognize the contributions and sacrifices these children have made for their country.  I have attached a flyer that will be of interest to you and your colleagues, in particular the English and Art educators.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would share this flyer with them as well as your school administrators.

Purple Up! - April 15th.....
We would like to invite your schools to join us for "Purple Up! For Military Kids" on April 15th.  We are encouraging folks across the state of Oklahoma to wear purple on April 1th, as a visible way to show support and thank military children for their strength and sacrifices.  Purple is the color that symbolizes all branches of the military, as it is the combination of Army green, Coast Guard blue, Air Force blue, Marine red and Navy blue.    The attached flyer includes a listing of ideas that your school and community could implement to celebrate this special day.  We have found that this is a superb opportunity for communities to work together to support the military children and families in their own neighborhoods.

It would be awesome if you would send photos and/or stories of what took place in your schools and communities.  If you should have any questions, please contact me at pat.mcnally at okstate.edu<mailto:pat.mcnally at okstate.edu> or Carrie Winslett, OMK Graduate Student, cwinsle at ostatemail.okstate.edu<mailto:cwinsle at ostatemail.okstate.edu> .

Thank you for sharing this information with your colleagues and school administrators.

Pat McNally
Extension Assistant, 4-H Youth Development
Coordinator, Operation: Military Kids
205 4-H Youth Development
Stillwater, OK  74078-6063
405.744.4141