[Cobo] FW: SB247 and SB453 (Committee Sub)

Mauck, Sheri smauck at osrhe.edu
Thu Feb 6 11:09:35 CST 2003

Please see the correspondence from Lesa Borin, the legislative analyst, who is working to get authors and help promote the "Best Practices Recommendations."  Lesa is urging the Business Officers to call the members (listed below) and talk to them on the importance of voting for Bills SB247 and SB453.  These bills will be the vehicles used to address the  recommendations from the Best Practices Committee.  Please make the time to talk with your President and other legislative liaisons and discuss these issues and how they will benefit Higher Education.  The timeframe is short, the bills are to be heard on Monday, February 17th, so please make this a priority and help to get these bills passed from committee.

A memo is also being sent to the Presidents asking their help in communicating to the members that these are ways of helping Higher Education be more efficient.  In light of the budgetary situation, passing these bills is a practical way of helping the State System without costing additional appropriations.

The issues that will be addressed include the following four topics:
1) amended definition of public construction contract and amended requirement for submitting of bid bond; 2) sales tax exemption for tickets of athletic events and using funds for Title IX; 3) contracting with no less than two travel agencies, and 4) allowing postage stamps to be used in research projects and increasing the limitation on the purchase of stamps.