[Coil-l] COIL - October book club & 2018 officers

Sarah Whittle burkhead at nsuok.edu
Thu Oct 6 10:53:15 CDT 2016

Hello everyone!

For those who were able to join us last Friday at TCC for the September
COIL meeting, thank you for attending - it was good to see you! For those
who were unable to join us, you are still able to view the Emaze slideshow,
shared by our TCC and NSU librarians on the topic of Assessment in Action
from ACRL. Their presentation slides are available via the COIL website
under the Minutes tab, found within the September 30 agenda. (
http://coil.okacrl.org/minutes/)

Looking ahead to a couple of noteworthy items for October...

1.) *Officer Nominations*
We currently are in need of volunteers to serve as next year's COIL
leaders. The current open positions are:
Vice Chair/2018 Chair Elect
Secretary
Webmaster

If you are interested in volunteering, or know of a member of COIL who is
interested in serving, please e-mail me directly (burkhead at nsuok.edu) by
Wednesday, October 19. Shortly thereafter I will send out an anonymous
Google form/poll for you to cast your vote and the results will be
announced Friday, November 11, at OK-ACRL. (Speaking of which, registration
is now open and calls for proposals are still being accepted!
http://www.okacrl.org/)

2.) *October Meeting/Book Club*
Our October meeting will take place Friday, October 28 at 2:00 p.m., and is
another online book club which will take place via Zoom. We will
discuss *Teaching
Information Literacy Threshold Concepts: Lesson Plans for Librarians *eds.
Bravender, McClure, & Schaub. There are six broad chapters, one for each of
the new threshold concepts: Scholarship as Conversation, Research as
Inquiry, Authority is Constructed and is Contextual, Information Creation
as a Process, Searching as Strategic Exploration, and Information Has
Value.

If you would like to lead a brief discussion about a lesson plan from one
of these six portions of the book, please let me know!

Or, if you're simply interested in participating in the online meeting,
also please let me know. I'll send out the link to the Zoom video
conferencing session the morning of October 28 for you to join the 2:00
p.m. conversation.

I hope to hear from you all soon with officer nominations and a willingness
to help share during our upcoming book club!

Thank you!
Sarah

--
Sarah Burkhead Whittle
Instructor of Library Services ~ Resource Coordinator, College of Education
burkhead at nsuok.edu
Blackboard IM: sburkhead