[Coil-l] COIL - October book club & 2018 officers

Megan Donald megan.donald at tulsacc.edu
Thu Oct 6 11:06:54 CDT 2016

Hello everyone!

For those who were able to join us last Friday at TCC for the September COIL meeting, thank you for attending - it was good to see you! For those who were unable to join us, you are still able to view the Emaze slideshow, shared by our TCC and NSU librarians on the topic of Assessment in Action from ACRL. Their presentation slides are available via the COIL website under the Minutes tab, found within the September 30 agenda. (http://coil.okacrl.org/minutes/)

Looking ahead to a couple of noteworthy items for October...

1.) Officer Nominations
We currently are in need of volunteers to serve as next year's COIL leaders. The current open positions are:
Vice Chair/2018 Chair Elect
Secretary
Webmaster

If you are interested in volunteering, or know of a member of COIL who is interested in serving, please e-mail me directly (burkhead at nsuok.edu<mailto:burkhead at nsuok.edu>) by Wednesday, October 19. Shortly thereafter I will send out an anonymous Google form/poll for you to cast your vote and the results will be announced Friday, November 11, at OK-ACRL. (Speaking of which, registration is now open and calls for proposals are still being accepted! http://www.okacrl.org/)

2.) October Meeting/Book Club
Our October meeting will take place Friday, October 28 at 2:00 p.m., and is another online book club which will take place via Zoom. We will discuss Teaching Information Literacy Threshold Concepts: Lesson Plans for Librarians eds. Bravender, McClure, & Schaub. There are six broad chapters, one for each of the new threshold concepts: Scholarship as Conversation, Research as Inquiry, Authority is Constructed and is Contextual, Information Creation as a Process, Searching as Strategic Exploration, and Information Has Value.

If you would like to lead a brief discussion about a lesson plan from one of these six portions of the book, please let me know!

Or, if you're simply interested in participating in the online meeting, also please let me know. I'll send out the link to the Zoom video conferencing session the morning of October 28 for you to join the 2:00 p.m. conversation.

I hope to hear from you all soon with officer nominations and a willingness to help share during our upcoming book club!

Thank you!
Sarah

--
Sarah Burkhead Whittle
Instructor of Library Services ~ Resource Coordinator, College of Education