[Coil-l] Intellectual Freedom

Murray, Frederic frederic.murray at swosu.edu
Thu Feb 16 09:46:50 CST 2017

Good morning, I was asked this year to serve as a contributor to the Intellectual Freedom Blog for the American Library Association. As my community of peers I thought I would share my recent posts; and also take the opportunity to ask you to share any issues surrounding intellectual freedom, free speech, book challenges or anything else of concern. As Oklahoman librarians we are in unique and important position to help shape the debates that are upon us. The ALA's Office of Intellectual Freedom's Facebook page can be found:

https://www.facebook.com/ALAOIF/

Thanks!

Neither App nor Algorithm<http://www.oif.ala.org/oif/?p=8591>
The role of libraries in preserving intellectual freedom, as well as the integrity of our collections and interactions we have with patrons, is based on critical thinking and clear-eyed reasoning, not the convenience of a hyperlink.
News Literacy in the Library Classroom<http://www.oif.ala.org/oif/?p=8552>
The Columbia Journalism Review recently discussed how the news media could learn a lot from librarians and the framework, and set of principles, we've developed for dealing with the onslaught of digital information. But the truth is that in a culture devoted to the free flow of information and free expression, we learn best when we learn from each other.
Censure & Erasure: The Strange Case of Hans Fallada<http://www.oif.ala.org/oif/?p=8470>
As adherents and defenders of the idea of intellectual freedom, librarians - both public and academic - are in a position of strength to shape the debates roiling through our communities ... This is not about liberal or conservative; this is about demagoguery taking root. The strange case of Hans Fallada need not be repeated.

Frederic Murray, MLIS
Assistant Professor
Instructional Services Librarian
Southwestern Oklahoma State University

Contributor: Intellectual Freedom Blog 2017
The Office for Intellectual Freedom: American Library Association<http://www.oif.ala.org/oif/>

Managing Editor
Administrative Issues Journal<http://www.swosu.edu/academics/aij/index.aspx>

Executive Board Member, Secretary