[Coil-l] Registration for unCOILed 2024 now open!

Nicole Sump-Crethar ansumpcre at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 10:41:33 CDT 2024

Hello All,

I'm super excited to announce the schedule and open registration for
unCOILed 2024! Once you have registered we will send details regarding
parking and the building location. Remember that registration is FREE! If
you have any questions please send me an email. Looking forward to seeing
all of you in Edmond on July 18th!

Nicole Sump-Crethar
ansumpcre at gmail.com

*Registration: https://forms.gle/Aff4fncYejg1AJNv9
<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FAff4fncYejg1AJNv9&data=05%7C02%7Cacrethar%40uco.edu%7C59afccbc0c854138275108dc8ee30e42%7C51aa8f262e234b8cbca87cc441adc4df%7C0%7C0%7C638542353092990407%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=WEqwufEIUOczBliltRIymgxNy5VPKUuL5DZ2RbfAbtk%3D&reserved=0>*

Schedule for Thursday, July 18, 2024

9:00-9:30

Registration opens

9:30-10:15

Keynote: Laura Dumin

10:30-11:20

AI for the Undergrad

11:30-1:00

Lunch

1:00-1:50

Seekers Unbound: Navigating Babel from Inquiry to Discovery

2:00-2:50

The Importance of Information Literacy Instruction: Bridging the gap
between higher education and K-12

3:00-3:50

Instructional Games are for Everyone!

3:50-4:00

2024 COIL Instruction Award presentation

Session Descriptions AI for the Undergrad, Courtney Oliphant

This past spring, the OCCC Library launched its first AI Workshop. The
session is targeted mainly at students but has received positive feedback
from faculty and staff who've attended, too. Participants learn to manage
tasks, identify at what times during an assignment when AI may be helpful
and appropriate, and ethically considerations when using AI. Those who
attend will get hands on experience with GoblinTools and a Large Language
Model like ChatGPT, Claude, or Gemini. The workshop combines the use of
LibGuides, Mentimeter, and Canva, for facilitating group work while
allowing participants to have a webpage to return to after the session is
over.

Seekers Unbound: Navigating Babel from Inquiry to Discovery, Chris Rosser

As librarians, we understand that information literacy is not merely a
skill but is fundamental to how we learn, work, and navigate our
information-saturated world. We also recognize that artificial intelligence
literacy is no longer optional; yet, many instructors and students are
hesitant about embracing AI in the classroom, and not without reason. At
this moment of profound disruption, students, instructors, and all
information Seekers need training to deepen crucial literacies, and that’s
where Seekers Unbound comes into play. "Seekers Unbound: Navigating Babel
from Inquiry to Discovery" is an immersive and engaging information
literacy game that challenges students to become skillful navigators of a
complex and often chaotic information ecosystem. The game integrates AI
technologies to enhance learning experiences and foster the development of
crucial AI literacy skills alongside traditional information literacy
competencies.

Borges' famous short story “La Biblioteca de Babel” provides an evocative
backdrop that aligns with the game's themes of knowledge-seeking and the
vast, often overwhelming nature of information. Our game invites learners
into a storied world that provides the context for play and discovery,
where an enemy known as Dis roams the halls of Babel, a chaotic force that
thrives on distrust, disharmony, and disinformation. Bias, Fallacy, Echo,
and all the children of Dis make a mess of discovery. We need Seekers who
can navigate this information nightmare, Seekers ready to be trained in the
Library of Babel. Seekers use wit, skills, and creativity to craft keys,
powerful search strategies that call forth needed information.

Crafting keys takes training, so we’ve created a new option for instruction
by transforming one-shot research sessions into a game. In teams, students
are guided by a librarian Oracle to craft search strategies within various
realms of discovery, such as library databases, search engines like Google,
and new AI tools. Searching is complicated or, perhaps helped, by the cards
they draw and, of course, by a roll of the dice. Teams then defend their
search strategies and discoveries in a Babel Royale, creating space for the
librarian Oracle to offer one-point instruction for deepening research
skills. Moreover, the game's adaptability to specific research needs and
assignments makes it highly scalable and playable across disciplines, with
the potential to reach a wide audience of students at various skill levels.

Learning outcomes focus on analyzing information sources, collaborating
with peers, adapting search strategies, and developing critical thinking
skills. Throughout the game, students interact with AI-powered tools to
conduct research, critically assess tools and search strategies, generate
insights, and overcome challenges. By incorporating AI, the game exposes
students to the possibilities and limitations of AI in the context of
information-seeking and knowledge discovery. Our panel presentation invites
participants as Seekers to play along in live gameplay. As a serious game,
“Seekers Unbound” leverages the power of story, imagination, and play to
broaden encounters with diverse ways of thinking and to grapple with the
ethics of information discovery, creation, and consumption within a system
increasingly powered by AI.

See full game description at this site: https://bit.ly/SeekersUnbound
<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FSeekersUnbound&data=05%7C02%7Cacrethar%40uco.edu%7C59afccbc0c854138275108dc8ee30e42%7C51aa8f262e234b8cbca87cc441adc4df%7C0%7C0%7C638542353092998678%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=gfQbRfayVjAsQovD8ox3LIIMBHNFwCCb2GSDLpRjbOk%3D&reserved=0>

The Importance of Information Literacy Instruction: Bridging the gap
between higher education and K-12, Lisa Grimes and Kathryn Thomas

This presentation will demonstrate how instruction librarians in higher
education can work with K-12 school district librarians to bridge the
instruction gap, and how K-12 can reach out to them. We will share our
methods for creating this program, how to approach administration, find
funding, and working with other departments on campus. We will include tips
on how to gain outside media coverage, how to create surveys to make data
informed decisions, and how to maintain communication for continued
collaboration and support.

Instructional Games are for Everyone!, Angie Brunk and Dan Ireton

Want to incorporate more active learning into your classroom but you don't
want to exclude anyone? This session is for you! We'll show you how to
create games and other active learning activities that are suitable for
students with disabilities.