[Eoscstudents] Menu for Manic Mon. Aug. 21

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Mon Aug 21 10:14:35 CDT 2006

Hi folks,

We had a great turnout Friday night for our Girl Scout stargazing
program.  Mr. Hawthorne came early and stayed late, giving the girls and
leaders an opportunity to view not only the night sky, but sunspots as
well.  Our new faculty member, Roger Nelson, also came with telescope in
hand, as did Don Stites from Robber's Cave State Park, who brought a
really big telescope (it looks like a hot water heater!), so we had
several different sizes of scopes to view through.   Don also pointed
out the space station as it traveled over our heads.   We just happened
to be out there at the right time to see it as it passed directly over
us!  The only drawback was that we did have a great deal of cloud cover,
which impeded our visibility somewhat.  I think all of us did get to see
Jupiter and several of it's moons, though, which was a unique
experience.  Jupiter is visible with the naked eye, but the moons are
not, so it was surprising to see them there through the telescope.

The rain we got yesterday evening was a welcome relief, after these 100+
degree days we've been having.  Here's hoping that the temperatures will
stay below the 3 digit mark the rest of this week, and for my part, the
rest of the year!

Our menu for today includes:

            Chicken enchilada casserole
            Steamed red potatoes
            Peas
            Baby carrots
            Corn
            Rolls
            Rice
             Baked potato bar

Our fast food is Meatball Subs with Marinara Sauce and Tator Tots.

And for dessert try some delicious Banana Split Cake.

Come on over and have some lunch with us,