[Eoscstudents] February is Healthy Relationship Awareness

Levenia Carey lcarey at eosc.edu
Thu Feb 1 17:11:42 CST 2007

Hello Everyone:

February marks the beginning of Healthy Relationship Awareness Month.
As most begin to turn their focus toward Valentines day, romance is in
the air, which makes it a good time to take a look at our relationships
and make sure that they are healthy ones.

Healthy relationships are characterized by trust, respect and the
ability to share with one another.  Relationships are based on the
foundation of both partners being equal and that power/control (if any)
be equally shared.  Some of the characteristics of a healthy
relationship are:

Trust and support - do you support one another and each others quest for
dreams and goals in life?  Are you respecting of your partner's right to
his/her own feelings, opinions, friends, interests, etc.?  Trust and
support mean that you value your partner as an individual.

Respect - this is key.  Do you listen to your partner, value their
opinion and listen in a non-judgmental manner.  Respect also involves
making an effort to understand and affirm the other's emotions.

Honesty and accountability - communicating openly and truthfully.  Do
you admit your mistakes ad accept responsibility for your own actions?
Do you acknowledge past use of violence?

These are three of the characteristics of a healthy relationship.
Tomorrow I will present more.  This month with our focus on Healthy
relationships, we will be having several activities that allow you to
examine your own relationships or the quest for a relationship.  What do
you desire in a mate?  Have you found it?  If you are not sure what you
desire in a relationship or what you deserve, watch for flyers around
campus, under dormitory doors and let us help you.

To love, romance and fairy tale endings.....you have to kiss a lot of
frogs and frogettes (is that a word) before you find the right person,
but it is worth the journey.

Levenia
465-1757