[Eoscstudents] "Black History Month"

Levenia Carey lcarey at eosc.edu
Fri Feb 2 10:03:11 CST 2007

Good Day Everyone:

Often when we think of contributions made to our lives/society - we tend
to think of famous people and their contributions.  However, some of the
best contributions and inspirations comes from ordinary people just
being themselves.   Today's profiles are of individuals who have and
should have an impact on our ways of life, but who were just being
themselves.

Arthur Winston -  Was born March 22, 1906 in Oklahoma and died April 13,
2006 in Los Angeles, California.  Arthur was a Los Angeles Metro
employee for 72 years.  His hourly salary was 41 cents when he began
work for the Los Angeles Railway in 1924.  He has set a record as the
most reliable worker that the United States Department of Labor has ever
chronicled. He worked for 72 years without ever being late and having
only taken off a single day (in 1988 for the funeral of his wife
Frances).  In 1996, President Bill Clinton awarded him with an "Employee
of the Century" citation for his work ethic and dedication.  On is
remarkable record:  "It's easy.  You just get up and go to work."  and
Winston on his 100th birthday, "It ain't no trouble.  You've got to like
your job in the first place.  I don't lay around and play sick - work
two days, sick five days.  People are just using this sick leave
business."  The Arthur Winston Busyard (Division 5 in South Bay) was
named in his honor in Los Angeles.  His 100th birthday advice to kids
growing up today?  "My advice to them is to just get up and go to
work."  Mr. Winston is a great example and role model for all.

James Cameron (1913-June 13, 2006)  - Mr. Cameron was a lynching
survivor/author, founder/director of America's Black Holocaust Museum,
Inc. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  On August 7, 1930 Mr. Cameron's life
changed forever.  A day before, he and two other young Black men were
arrested for the robbery, rape and assault of a White couple in Marion,
Indiana.  James is in a cell in the Grant County Jail.  There is a lynch
mob outside numbering into the thousands.  James is sixteen years old.

The mob comes into the jail and grabs one of the men accused, with
James, of the crime.  He is beaten unconscious, dragged outside and
lynched.  The second man is then given the same treatment.  The bodies
of these two men, Tom Shipp, 18 and Abraham Smith, 19, hanging from a
tree is depicted in a famous and disturbing photograph on the cover of
("A Time of Terror - A Survivor's Story" by James Cameron).  The mob
than returns to the jail for James.  He is beaten and dragged out to the
tree where his friends now hand and the rob is placed around his neck.
It is at this moment that James remembers hearing what he describes an
an angelic voice above the crowd say "Take this boy back, he had nothing
to do with any killing or rape."  Suddenly the hands that were beating
him are now helping him.  The rope is taken from around his neck and
crowd clears a path for him to walk back to the jail.  In interviews he
later conducted with people who were in the crowd, no one remembers
hearing any voice.  Their reason for why the crowd did not lynch James:
"You were lucky that night."  Though James never admitted any guilt in
the assault (he admits that he was there), he served 4 years in prison.
The female victim later changed her story and confirmed that James had
no part in the assault.

Remember to visit the display in the library and keep reading.

Levenia, Marilynn, Brenton, NAACP/Psycho Club