[Eoscstudents] Healthy Relationships

Levenia Carey lcarey at eosc.edu
Tue Feb 6 16:59:44 CST 2007

Good Day Everyone:

Today I want to discuss boundaries.  Boundaries are important in
determining the health of a relationship.  Boundaries clarify where you
stop and where I begin, which problems belong to you and which problems
belong to me.  What are boundaries?  "Just as homeowners set physical
property lines around their land, we need to set mental, physical,
emotional, and spiritual boundaries around our lives to help us
distinguish what is our responsibility and what is not..." (Dr. Henry Cloud)

Each of us has boundaries, some of which go unspoken, in many areas of
our lives.  We set boundaries in regard to physical proximity and touch,
the words that are acceptable when we are spoken to, honesty, emotional
intimacy (such as how much we self-disclose to others).  When one or
both people in a relationship have difficulty with boundaries, the
relationship suffers.

Tomorrow we will address signs of Unhealthy Boundaries.

Levenia