[Eoscstudents] Healthy Relationship Awareness

Levenia Carey lcarey at eosc.edu
Wed Feb 7 10:43:26 CST 2007

Good Morning:

Today I want to share some signs of unhealthy boundaries in relationships.

Signs of Unhealthy Boundaries:
1.   Telling all.
2.   Talking at an intimate level on the first meeting.
3.   Falling in love with a new acquaintance.
4.   Falling in love with anyone who reaches out.
5.   Being overwhelmed by a person-preoccupied.
6.   Acting on the first sexual impulse.
7.   Being sexual for partner, not self.
8.   Going against personal values or rights to please others.
9.   Not noticing when someone invades your boundaries.
10. Not noticing when someone else displays inappropriate boundaries.
11. Accepting food, gifts, touch, sex that you don't' want.
12. Touching a person without asking.
13. Allowing someone to take as much as they can from you.
14. Letting others describe your reality.
15. Letting others define you.
16. Believing others can anticipate your needs.
17. Expecting others to fulfill your needs automatically.
18. Falling apart so someone will take are of you.

Tomorrow we will look at what is Co-dependency?  Co-dependene is a term
that has been widely used in the last 10 years to describe relationships
without clear boundaries.  Although no longer in Vogue, the concept of
co-dependency provides a useful framework for examining how we interact
in relationships with others.  Our culture portrays romantic love, in
songs, television, and movies, as being a relationship in which the
partners are inseparable, are nothing without each other, and one in
which each partner derives her/his very sense of self from the other.
While portrayed as the ideal, this is actually a description of a very
unhealthy relationship.  Read more tomorrow on this subject.

For those who may be concerned about the focus being mainly on unhealthy
relationships, there are two sides to the coin and we will get to what
is good about relationships.  But before you can enjoy the fruit you
often have to remove the seeds.  Until tomorrow.....

Levenia