[Eoscstudents] Healthy Relationships

Levenia Carey lcarey at eosc.edu
Thu Feb 15 17:43:08 CST 2007

Hello Everyone:

I know this email is later originating, but it has been an extremely
busy day.  I have accomplished a lot and hopefully helped a few people
along the way.  Today I wanted to furnish some information that is
geared more toward students, but it can be useful in all relationships.
Have a great evening.

"Maintain" the Relationship

Most of us know that keeping a vehicle moving in the desired direction
requires not only regular re-fueling, but also ongoing maintenance and
active corrections to the steering to compensate for changes in the
road. A similar situation applies to continuing relationships. While we
may work hard to get the relationship started, expecting to "cruise"
without effort or active maintenance typically leads to relationship
"stall" (or "crash!"). Though gifts and getaways are important, it is
often the small non material things that partners routinely do for each
other that keeps the relationship satisfying. Because these behaviors
are often small "corrections," they are not always things we have
observed in our parents' or others' relationships.

Relationships benefit the most when partners recognize the expectations
they bring into the relationship and consider the different ways these
expectations are affecting the relationship. This task is often
challenging for both partners. Nonetheless, amidst all the other
challenges of being a student, communicating about expectations and
resolving differences in a way that works for both partners can help
couples build and maintain healthy romantic relationships during college.

Drop by the office if I Can be of service.

Levenia