[Eoscstudents] Black History

Levenia Carey lcarey at eosc.edu
Thu Feb 15 18:07:15 CST 2007

Good Evening:

Today our spotlight is on Fannie Lou Townsend Hamer (1917-1977) - civil
rights activist.  The youngest of 20 children, Fannie Lou Townsend was
born in Mississippi and began working in the cotton fields at age six.
As an infant, she suffered a serious leg injury, but her family could
not afford medical care, and she limped for the rest of her life. Hamer
dropped out of school after the sixth grade in order to help her family.
Although she never received a formal educated Hamer went on to be a
dynamic speaker and civil rights worker. At age six she joined the other
family members working as a sharecropper picking cotton. By the time she
was 13 she could pick between two and three hundred pounds of cotton a
day. At one point, her father managed to save enough money to buy three
mules that would allow him to work his own land, but the animals were
poisoned by whites angry at the family's success.  In 1945, she married
Perry "Pap" Hamer, a sharecropper, living in Ruleville, Sunflower County.

On August 31, 1962, a day after attending a voter registration meeting,
Mrs. Hamer and 17 other African Americans rented a bus to go to
Indianola, the county seat, to try to register to vote.  At that time,
only 155 black people out of an eligible black population of 13,524 in
Sunflower County were registered.  Mrs. Hamer's gorup was rejected, and
on the way home, the driver of the bus was arrested on the charge that
the yellow bus looked too much like a school bus.  When Mrs. Hamer
finally returned home, she was ordered to leave the plantation where she
lived and worked for 18 years.  Several nights later, shots were fired
into the home of the woman with whom she had gone to stay.

In 1963 after many attempts Hamer final became registered to vote. To
help others register to vote, she worked as a field secretary for for
the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC).   In 1963, while
returning from a voter education training session, Mrs. Hamer and
several others, including 15-year-old June Johnson and Student
Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) leader lawrence Guyot, were
arrested in Winona and jailed. All were beaten, and Mrs. Hamer sustained
permanent kidney damage.  While they were in jail, Medgar Evers was
murdered, and publicity surrounding his death persuaded officials to
free Mrs. Hamer and the others.  In speaking of the b eating later, Mrs.
Hamer said, "We're tired of all this beating, we're tired of taking
this. It's been a hundred years and we're still being beaten and shot
at, crosses are still being burned, because we want to vote.  But I'm
going to stay in Mississippi, and if they shoot me down, I'll be buried
here."

Mrs. Hamer became a leader in SNCC voter registration efforts, a
position that cost her husband his job.  No one would hire him, and the
family was forced to live on the $10 a week Mrs. hamer recieved from
SNCC.  In 1964, Mrs. Hamer helped form the new Mississippi Freedom
Democratic Party, which challenged the right of the regular all-white
Mississippi delegation to be seated at the Democratic Party presidential
convention being held in New Jersey."If the Freedom Democratic Party is
not seated now, I question America," she said. "Is this America? The
land of the free and the home of the brave? Where we have to sleep with
our telephones off the hook, because our lives be threatened daily."
Hamer discussed the abuse she had suffered in retaliation for attending
a civil rights meeting. "They beat me and they beat me with the long,
flat black-jack. I screamed to God in pain...." As a compromise measure
the Democratic Party leadership offered the MFDP delegation two seats,
which they refused. Hamer said, "We didn't come for no two seats when
all of us is tired." And no MFDP member was seated.

In 1965 Hamer, Victoria Gray, and Annie Devine ran for Congress and
challenged the seating of the regular Mississippi representatives before
the U.S. House of Representatives. Though they were unsuccessful in
their challenge, the 1965 elections were later overturned. Hamer
continued to be politically active and from 1968 to 1971 was a member of
the Democratic National Committee from Mississippi.

In 1966, she took in her two grandchildren after their mother bled to
death when local hospitals would not accept her.  She also helped care
for her son who has been disabled in Vietnam.  She organized grass-root
antipoverty projects. In 1965 "Mississippi" magazine named Hamer one of
six "women of influence" in the state. In 1968 she created a food
cooperative to benefit the poor and in 1969 she founded the Freedom Farm
Cooperative. In 1972 she help found National Women's Political caucus
and later worked on issues such as school desegregation, child day care,
and low income housing. Hamer was an inspiration in the struggle for
civil rights. Hamer underwent a radical mastectomy in 1976 and died of
cancer at the age of 59 on March 14, 1977 in Mound Bayou, Mississippi,
Hospital.

Mrs. Hamer's effectiveness stemmed from her oratory (some say her skills
were second only to those of Martin Luther King, Jr.), her inspirational
singing, and her tireless devotion to the cause of poor blacks.  She is
famous for saying, "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."

Mrs. Hamer proved that even though life deals you lemons, you still have
to keep up the fight and continue to move forward.  She never allowed
her limp, her husband's inability to be employable, her beating/jail
time or the death of a daughter or disability of a son, to prevent her
from standing up for what is right.

Until Tomorrow.