[Eoscstudents] Menu for Tues. Aug. 5

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Tue Aug 5 10:03:26 CDT 2008

Hi folks,

We got a little welcome rain at my house yesterday evening.  I hope you
all did too.  Everything was just about to the point of spontaneous
combustion.  Opening the storm door to go in the house, or putting your
seatbelt on in the car could almost get you branded, and definitely make
you yelp and let go as fast as you could.   Be sure and keep fresh water
out for your outdoor pets.  It is critical in this heat that if they
can't get in to the house or somewhere cooler that they have plenty of
water to keep them hydrated.  I read somewhere that large dogs enjoy it
if you freeze a treat or a toy in a chunk of ice and put it out for
them.  They love to play with it trying to get the toy out.   Watch out
for wasps and other stinging insects in your pet's area too.  We had
several wasps come into our house this past weekend and a couple of our
dogs thought it was great fun to jump and snap at them.  Luckily they
didn't actually get hold of one, but I think the wasps held a grudge,
because later, one of them dive bombed my chihuahua and stung her on the
shoulder.  She spent the rest of the weekend scared to death watching
for them and hiding under covers.  She really learned a healthy respect
for wasps from that little experience.   Luckily she didn't have an
allergic reaction.

Our menu for today includes:
                Meatloaf
                Mashed potatoes and brown gravy
                Broccoli rice casserole
                Blackeye peas
                Corn
                Squash
                Rolls
                Chicken patty
                Chips

And for dessert have a real taste of summer with some Blackberry Cobbler.

Keep cool,

Rhoda     ;-)