[Eoscstudents] Menu for Mon. May 12

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Mon May 12 10:01:00 CDT 2008

Hi folks,

What a wild weather weekend we had!  Wilburton really dodged a bullet
with all the tornadoes in the area.  My husband's aunt and uncle and
their family got their 15 minutes of fame when part of their house was
shown on the news as one of those destroyed by one of the tornadoes that
came through at Yanush Saturday evening.  Miraculously, they and all
their children and young grandchildren were next door at her sister's
house, where the damage was much less severe.  Unfortunately, that
couple had gone to get my husband's grandmother who didn't want to be
alone in the storm, and they got caught in it on the way back.  They had
to pull over due to lack of visibility and were hit by high winds and
debris that shattered all their vehicle windows except the windshield
and showered them with glass and debris.  Talk about a close call!  They
were right near a house that would've probably been blown completely
across the highway except for it's iron fence and entry gate.  Now the
floor of that house is leaned upright against the iron entryway.  That's
something you don't see every day!   I have to say it is wonderfully
encouraging that very soon after all the storms were gone and the roads
were cleared enough to be passable, people started arriving with food,
water and offers to help the families who had been left homeless.  Okies
can be such great folks!

Our menu for today includes:

             Chicken fried steak
             Barbecue
             Brussel sprouts
             Vegetable medley

And for dessert, have some luscious Strawberry Shortcake!