[Eoscstudents] Menu for Tues. Sept. 9

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Tue Sep 9 10:05:21 CDT 2008

Hi folks,

Well, we've officially gone out of the chicken business at my house, at
least until we get a better henhouse and maybe a good critter-proof pen
for them.  We wanted to have chickens to keep down the bug population
(mostly ticks), but all that's happening is that something, (raccoons
and who knows what), is keeping down our chicken population.  The little
hen I rescued yesterday morning was evidently my last one.  I left her
in a pet carrier all day yesterday, then took her to a friend's house
yesterday evening to live with her chickens.  She has a really good
setup with chain link fences that keep all the critters away from her
chickens, ducks, etc. so the poor little traumatized hen ought to be
safe there.   Of course when we put her down in amongst her new flock,
the fighting started.  One of the resident chickens came up and pecked
at her and the fight was on.   She'd had a bad day after all, getting
rudely jarred awake at 6:00 or so in the morning by something biting
into her trying to drag her off for breakfast, then being dropped in the
wet grass, and scared half to death by her rescuer, grabbed up again,
put into a cat carrier and left for the day with 5 little dogs all
coming around sniffing and peeking in at you, and probably barking, so
she wasn't about to put up with any bullying from some little upstart
hen half her size!  Of course, she had to take on several of them before
they figured they'd better leave her alone.  No wonder she was grouchy!

The weather looks a little iffy outside today, like it might rain or it
might not.  I'm definitely relieved that the heat wave seems to be gone
for the year.  I hope it doesn't rain this weekend, as we have a family
reunion to go to and it's an outdoor thing.

Our menu for today includes:
             Roast beef
             Mashed potatoes and gravy
             Baked beans
             Corn
             Pasta bar
             Tuna salad
             Potato chips
             Pickles
             Hot rolls

And for dessert have some yummy Apple or Cherry Cobbler.