[Eoscstudents] Menu for Mon. April 11

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Mon Apr 11 09:05:50 CDT 2011

Hi folks,

Wow, it was wonderful to get some rain last night, (about 2.4 inches
according to the weather reports)!  The little creek at the foot of our
hill was just a mud puddle yesterday, but now it looks like an actual
flowing creek again!  This should bring back lots of trees and other
plants from the brink of death by drought, and lessen the fire danger in
the area, too.  There was actually a fairly large fire on our land last
week and we didn't even know about it until two days later!  My daughter
and I had walked out to the pond one evening last week and everything
was perfectly normal, then I walked out a couple of evenings later and
there had been a bulldozer through, tearing a trail right around the far
end of our pond and down into the woods.  I thought we'd been vandalized
at first, then I noticed the blackened debris and ash on the ground and
determined that there had been a fire that had burned across part of our
land, and the bulldozer trail was made to cut off the fire from the rest
of the woods.  Thankfully, it wasn't anywhere near our house, and it
looks like it didn't take down any big trees, but it did burn everything
on the ground in a fair sized area.  I'm sure someone thought they could
just burn a little trash and it wouldn't get away from them, but even
thought you keep the fire on the ground contained, the sparks can fly
off and ignite a fire in a whole other area.  Even though we have now
had some rain, you should check with local law enforcement to see if
we're still under a burn ban before you start a fire outside.  You never
know where it may end up!

Our menu for today includes:
            Hamburger steak
            Mashed potatoes and brown gravy
            Winter blend vegetables
             Fresh spinach
             Hot rolls
And for dessert, try some Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

Have a great day at Eastern,