[Eoscstudents] SSS TRiO DAY PROJECT

June Haynes jhaynes at eosc.edu
Mon Jan 3 16:33:16 CST 2011

Happy New Year to all!  This is a long email, but I hope you will take the
time to read all of it.

Student Support Services is once again asking for your help.  We are
participating in the TRiO Day(Feb. 23, OK State Capitol) project which is
partnering with "The Hugs Project", a nonprofit organization that is
dedicated to improve the quality of life for our men and women in uniform by
providing hugs (cool ties), kisses (helmet coolers), necessities and small
comforts from home.  Please take time to participate in our community
service component of TRiO Day.

Student Support Service will place boxes in each building, or you may call
one of the SSS staff for pick up. We will have boxes at the McAlester
Campus. (Idabel, if you would like to help, please contact me, June Haynes,
918 465 1822, and I will talk to Tammie and work something out.)

Sue @9184651823

June @918 4651822

Kathy at 9184651860

Cindy at 9184651825.

Also, we will have boxes available in our department.

Colleges and universities from around the state will be collecting items as
well.  These projects really are a great opportunity for our community and
our students to become involved in giving to others!

Please refer to the following list when gathering your contributions!

Let's get busy!   These folks deserve all that we can do for them!

Cool-ties are made from strips of 100% cotton with watersorb polymer
granules inside. (You may have seen these at craft shows.)  Helmet cooler
are an insert you can buy or make (made from much the same material).
Patterns for the cool ties are available on line.   These items stay cool
after being submerged in water.

I will be sending reminders.  We don't want to forget something like this.
SSS has collected the most items for several years.

Thank You,

June Haynes

SSS Counselor

CARE-PACKAGE ITEMS NEEDED FOR TROOPS ON DUTY OVERSEAS

Advil
After shave
Antacids
AntiPerspirants
Aspirin
Baby Wipes (unscented)
Band-Aids
Baseballs
Batteries (mostly AA, AAA, and

3-volt lithium)
Beef Jerky
Blank Greeting Cards (They send them home)
Blowup Swimming Pools (in Summer)
Books
Breakfast Food (Presweetened Cereal, Cereal Bars, Pop Tarts, etc.)
Brownies
Bulbs (40 watt)
Bug Repellant
Candy
Canned Bean Dip
CD book that holds 40+ CDs or DVDs
Chips
Coffee
Crackers
Crystal Light
Dental tools (Used - For weapons cleaning)

Drink Mix (powdered, all kinds)
Dry Coffee Creamer (They love the flavored stuff)
Dry Skin Lotion
Extension Cords (the longer the better)
Eye Drops
Flashlights (red lens/lights to strap onto helmets)
Flip-Flops
Fly Strips and Glue Traps
Foot Powder
Frisbees
Glade, Lysol and Febreeze (non areosol)
Gloves
Granola Bars
Gum
Hacky Sacks

Harmonicas
Homemade Cookies

Hot Chocolate (Individually packaged)

Instant Oatmeal
Kleenex
Kazoos
Laundry Soap

LED lights of all types

Little Debbies Snack Cakes
Magazines - Guys will like (Men's Health, Maxim & FHM and any news,
automobile, motorcycle, self-improvement or home repair type)
Motrin
New Release DVD's and CD's (used are good too)
Nuts
Paintbrushes (1" size, for cleaning weapons)
Pencils & Pens
Personal Fans
Phone Cards (Pre-Paid)
Pipe Cleaners
Playing Cards
Power Bars
Pretzels
Q-tips
Ramen Noodles
3 Blade Razors

Sardines
Seasonings
Shampoo (Head & Shoulders or Denorex

types are appreciated)
Slim Jims

SOCKS!!!! White, Green or Black
Soup Mixes

SpaWar phone cards (need in Afghanistan)
Stationery Supplies
Sugar Substitutes
Sunflower Seeds in the shell
Sunscreen
Surge Protectors (Don't have to be expensive)
Tampons and other feminine hygiene products
Teas (flavored are most enjoyed)
Throat Lozenges
Tooth Brushes & Tooth Paste
Trail Mix