[Eoscstudents] Exciting Upcoming Latimer County Event-Please READ!

melissa Lee mlee at eosc.edu
Tue Nov 29 12:59:11 CST 2011

Hello Everyone,

I would like to invite everyone to be a part of the upcoming Latimer County
Arts Council Arts and Crafts Half and Half Sale and Lunch on Sunday,
December 11th. Each year the Red Oak Masons graciously do a fundraiser for
us to raise money for our programs.

What are our programs?

Well, we are a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the arts in
Latimer County and southeastern Oklahoma. Our biggest focus is on the school
systems in this county (Wilburton, Red Oak, Panola and Buffalo Valley). We
raise money to bring arts programming into these schools at NO cost to the
school systems. For several years we've brought in performances by the Tulsa
Opera, which we'll be doing again in January. We've brought in musicians,
puppeteers, and all sorts of other programs that most of our school systems
do not offer and/or cannot afford. Studies have shown time and again that
students exposed to Arts programming do better on standardized testing - and
since those tests seem to determine everything else in public schools today
- we want to give our kids whatever advantages we can. This year we will be
offering short residencies, where an artist goes into individual classrooms
to work on skills with children for several weeks. For instance our own
English and Creative Writing teacher, Ande Davis will be doing a residency
with 5th grade students next semester - using creative writing to help
prepare them for their writing tests. Our Musical Director, Patrick Moore
will be bringing a Music residency later in the year. Honors program
Director, Ruth Brelsford has been doing Storytelling with elementary
students for the last few years. We are also currently working on a Dance
residency. And again - all of this happens with no expense to the schools.
So, of course, we need to raise funds to make all this keep happening. The
Red Oak Masons have been very generous, and we hope you will be, too.

So, we are having an after-lunch type potluck lunch at the Red Oak school
cafeteria on Sunday, December 11th, starting at 11:30am. During this time we
will also have a Silent Auction set up with our Arts and Crafts Half and
Half Sale. This sale will feature art and crafts of all sorts submitted by
local artists and crafters. You'll be able to pick up some great Christmas
gifts!! All of the lunch money and half of the auction money will go
directly to the Arts Council fund. And the Red Oak Masons will match some of
that money raised! And in support of local artists, the other Half of the
auction money will go directly back to the Artists! So, if you make quilts
or decorate cakes or paint or sculpt or write books or make jewelry or carve
wood, etc. this is a chance for you to make some Christmas money for
yourself - and donate to the arts in Latimer County. And if you're worried
that your masterpiece may go for less than you'd like, don't worry - you can
set a minimum sale price, and if that isn't offered, we'll return your items
to you.

So, contact me if you want to enter something into the Auction. Please pass
the word to anyone you know. And please, please consider being present for
our event on December 11th.

Thank you so much,

Melissa Lee

Latimer County Arts Council President

Melissa Heath-Lee

Theatre Eastern

Eastern Oklahoma State College

1301 West Main Street  Wilburton, Oklahoma  74578

918-465-1758   mlee at eosc.edu
<mailto:mlee at eosc.edu%20www.eosc.edu/academic/drama/drama_dept.html>
www.eosc.edu/academic/drama/drama_dept.html