[Eoscstudents] Fall Mass Communication classes

Kristen Turner kturner at eosc.edu
Mon Apr 17 12:12:25 CDT 2017

Each semester I like to send out an email to our current students reminding
them of the unique course offerings we have in the Mass Communication
Department.

Mass Communication is a very diverse department that covers the areas of
Journalism; Communications; Radio & Television Broadcasting; Advertising;
Public Relations; Graphic Design; Photography; and Video Production.

We produce a newspaper and a yearbook, as well as a weekly video news
update. You do not have to be a major to enroll in any of these courses.
Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

For General Studies majors, these courses may be used in the

*"General Studies Major Field" of your degree plan.*
*MCOMM 1101 (MW 1:10-2) Publications Production - *Practical lab experience
for basic techniques in reporting, editing, layout and design, photography,
and/or advertising. Two hours of lab working by arrangement on the staff of
the student newspaper or yearbook. May be repeated for credit up to four
times. A maximum of three hours will count toward graduation. (Cr. 1)

*MCOMM 1113 (ONLINE) Introduction to Mass Communication - *
An overall view of the mass media and how society is affected. Designed to
give the student various facts of the field and an appreciation for them.

*MCOMM 1213 (MWF 10:10-11) News Reporting -* Study of the fundamentals of
journalistic writing with emphasis on the elements of news gathering and
news writing, advertising and press photography, copy editing, and page
make-up, with increased experience on the college publication. (Cr. 3)

*MCOMM 1223 (MWF 11:10-12) Video Production I -*Theory and practice of
basic video production techniques leading to applications in television and
post-production. This course is designed to instruct the student in the
fundamentals of broadcast journalism using the single camera approach of
electronic news gathering. (Cr. 3)

--
Kristen E. Turner
Professor of Mass Communication