[Eoscstudents] Keeping Eastern Ready

Alton Jones ajones725 at eosc.edu
Thu Feb 15 13:56:40 CST 2018

In the wake of yesterday’s events, I would like to assure the Eastern
community that the Campus Police department have taken steps to be prepared
for such an event.  I also want to remind you that even though our officers
are trained to react to these tragic situations, and strive to make this
campus safe we need your help *Keeping Eastern Ready*.  If you see
something Say Something:

*SEE SOMETHING? *

(What to look for)

It can be difficult to know what *“something suspicious”* looks like – but
trust yourself when something doesn’t feel quite right.

*SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR *

Race, gender or religious affiliations are not indicators of suspicious
behavior. Look for signs of reconnaissance or equipment tampering. Don’t be
afraid to report any of the following:

• Anyone tampering with surveillance cameras, safety systems, etc.

• People videotaping, sketching or taking notes.

• People entering unauthorized areas.

• People carrying aerosol containers or anything omitting a strange smell
or gas.

• Evasive answers to common questions regarding destinations; deliberate
attempts to avoid contact with others or to draw attention.

• Loose fitting clothing, large sweatshirt, vest or jacket in hot weather
conditions. Clothing that is disproportionate to the body type of the
person.

• Attempts to abandon a vehicle or cars in the parking lot with improper
tags and license plates.

• An individual who is fixated only on a particular object or location.

• Suspicious activity or loitering around facilities.

SUSPICIOUS OBJECTS

Unattended briefcases or bags may simply be forgotten or discarded items –
but it’s better to be safe than sorry. *Do not be afraid to report any of
the following:*

• Bags, boxes or other packages left unattended—especially if partially
hidden or in unusual locations.

• Exposed wiring, leaks, strange smells or other signs of potential
tampering.

• Suspicious items such as large backpacks, gym bags.

*SAY SOMETHING? *

(Who to tell)

Once you see something, how do you say something? Below are helpful hints
on how to report it – it could save your life.

Describing “Something Suspicious”

Tell the authorities who, when and where you saw something, and
specifically what you saw. Explain why you thought there was cause for
suspicion.

*Tell… *

• CAMPUS POLICE

• EMPLOYEES OR OFFICIAL PERSONNEL

• CALL 9-1-1 IF NO ONE IS AVAILABLE.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families of
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida

--
v/r

Alton L. Jones
Campus Police Chief