[Eoscstudents] Impaired/Distracted Driving

Alton Jones ajones725 at eosc.edu
Tue Apr 19 17:46:50 CDT 2022

All,
I want to thank everyone who participated and advocated for today’s event.
The Impaired/Distracted driving demonstration was well received.  SGT
Yokley of the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office/Oklahoma Highway Safety told
me that we had 86 Eastern students participate in the simulation. We are
making plans for her to return to the EOSC Wilburton and McAlester campuses
next semester.  Students who participated seemed to have fun and hopefully
realized how dangerous it is to drive impaired.

For those who are not aware, in the U.S., 28 people die every day due to
alcohol related collisions. Since 1982, alcohol related crashes have
increased every year, however, alcohol related fatalities were at an all
time low in 2019.  Even though 2019 was the lowest year for alcohol related
fatalities, over 10,000 people still lost their lives due to  impaired
driving. Furthermore, since 2000, marijuana related vehicle fatalities have
more than doubled from 9% of all vehicle fatalities to 22%, and with the
passage of State Question 788 law enforcement believe that these numbers
will increase.

 The numbers of impaired driving fatalities are staggering and 100% of them
could have been prevented. This is why I felt that it was important for SGT
Yokley to come to our campus today. I hope that this demonstration has had
an impact on all who have  participated.  Thank you for your time.
--
Alton L. Jones
Campus Police Chief