[Oacrao-l] Student Access

Jerry Legere jlegere at uco.edu
Mon Apr 19 10:33:32 CDT 2010

Colleagues:

An issue has come up at our institution about student employee access to information in our Banner system.  I suspect many of us rely on student employees to assist our full time staff in many capacities including being able to view student records including the processing of some student transactions.

The question has been raised as to what the proper role of student employees should be in an Admissions, Registrar or Financial Aid operation. Should student workers be allowed to log into the automated system as a user (not just for their own student status) ?  We have established student worker security classes similar to our employee security classes that define what screens the person can view and what they might be able to update.  Any screen not included in the security class is not accessible to the student employee.

Some of our student employees act in a front line service capacity as well as in a behind the scenes role alongside full time staff.  As a result, student employees can log into the system from their campus office work station using their ID and password to assist staff and fellow students with:
printing a copy of transcripts,
processing add and drop transactions,
viewing various admission and financial aid statuses to respond to student inquiries,
making address changes as directed by students.

What do you allow student employees to do in regard to accessing and using the automated information system for your office work?

Jerry

Jerry Legere
Associate Vice President
Enrollment Management/Registrar
University of Central Oklahoma
100 N University Drive
Nigh University Center Room 136 D Box 151
Edmond, OK 73034
(405) 974-2385 Office
(405) 974-3841 Fax

**Bronze+Blue=Green** The University of Central Oklahoma is Bronze, Blue, and Green! Please print this e-mail only if absolutely necessary!

**CONFIDENTIALITY** This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure or use of this information is prohibited.