[Oacrao-l] Awarding Military Credit

David Fulmer dfulmer at oru.edu
Thu Nov 17 21:47:31 CST 2011

Pamla, we grant two credits of physical fitness for the basic training.
We also grant credit based on AARTS transcripts.  For ACE
recommendations we defer to the department that houses the subject area
for their recommendation.

David

>>> "Armstrong, Pamla R." <parmstro at ecok.edu> 11/16/2011 8:42 AM >>>

Good morning all,

We currently give four hours of credit to a student who has served in
the military for at least one full year of continuous active duty as
evidenced on their DD-214.  They can use two hours to satisfy the
wellness requirement in lieu of Choices in Wellness and the other two
hours go towards their electives.  In essence this is credit for basic
training.  The VA is now requiring that we evaluate the student’s Army
Academic Record and their Sailor/Marine Academic Record to see if any
credit is recommended by the American Council on Education for courses
taken in the military.  We defer to the DD-214 before we grant credit
for basic training but take the ACE recommendations on all other
courses.

My understanding is that Basic Training is the same for active duty and
guard/reserve people but the guard/reserve cannot get the credit at ECU
because they don’t have a full year of continuous active duty.  ACE
would give four hours credit for g/r also if we accepted their
recommendations for basic training.

With the number of g/r units being activated and the number of veterans
we have returning to school  I wonder if it is time that we consider
giving those with less than one year the same credit as those with more
than one year for the basic training course. Can you please tell me what
your school does for the military credit.

Thanks in advance.

Pamla Armstrong
Director of Admissions and Records/Registrar
East Central University
1100 E 14th ECU PMB J-8
Ada OK  74820-6999

(580) 559-5239 (Phone)
(580) 559-5432 (Fax)
East Central University's mission is to foster a learning environment
in which students, faculty, staff, and community interact to educate
students for life in a rapidly changing and culturally diverse society.
Within its service area, East Central University provides leadership for
economic development and cultural enhancement.